Author Topic: A good day at the auction barn.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline KShip85

A good day at the auction barn.
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:12:23 pm »
Decided I was going to hit up an auction this morning and I'm glad I did.  Scored four draw knives and what looks to be a 24" old saw mill blade that's about 1/8" thick.  All for $50...not too bad compared to the local flea market/antique mall.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A good day at the auction barn.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:16 pm »
Nice score.  Looks like a lot of trade points in that old blade.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »
Nice, I bet those tools could tell some tells
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:25:53 pm »
Looks like great stuff to me!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »
Good score and I especially like that beautiful old knife top left. Surely you're going to have to trade a couple of those :D . You can't use all of em at the same time anyways and surely there's something youz need :laugh: :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:15 pm »
Good looking tools! Right one looks like it would work well for lefties like me :'(

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:34:58 pm »
Osage, Yeah there are! Main reason I got it was in hopes of cutting a large knife blank or two to grind down :)

Scout, you know I was thinking the same thing.  Curious if any of these old knives have already got a few bows under their belt.

Adam, yeah I was psyched about it.  Really glad I decided to go.  Too bad the old anvil they had went out of my price range.

Fred, normally I might think it too early to part with a new toy, but it just so happens I think I have one pretty similar that I inherited from my wife's grandpa so I might be willing to part with this ;). Have to think it over though.

Tracy, haha thanks, I wasn't aware that draw knives varied from right to left hand use.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
"Tracy, haha thanks, I wasn't aware that draw knives varied from right to left hand use."

I can tell Tracy's a handle kinda guy. That was kinda like pickin a D cup out of a group of A's and B's.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »
"Tracy, haha thanks, I wasn't aware that draw knives varied from right to left hand use."

I can tell Tracy's a handle kinda guy. That was kinda like pickin a D cup out of a group of A's and B's.

Bahaha

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:44 am »
Yeah, just messin with you :). I definitely like the old draw knives with history than the newer ones that are from china.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956