Author Topic: Can I do anything with these Pecan limbs?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline bigbird583

Can I do anything with these Pecan limbs?
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:38:41 pm »
     I have a few Pecan tree's in the yard and I have seen on here that it is a good wood for bow building.  My Dad would kill me if he found out I cut even a twig off of a tree but there are a few limbs that have broke off in a storm, that are in the underbrush.  I can't tell if they have a good straight section without hacking into the jungle.  But I guess my question is would it even be worth the trouble.  I'm pretty new to this but I hear everybody talk about properly seasoning everything and then I read about a bow made from an old fence post.  I'm sure when they built the fence they didn't seal the ends.  So my question is can I do anything with a limb that has been just laying around seasoning?  If it's a nice looking wood, would it be worth digging out and using for tips or handles? 
     Another question while I'm thinking about it.  Seems like I read awhile back,  some use for pecan shells or maybe it was the hull's.  It might have had something to do with trapping.  Any ideas?  That might have been a question for a different form but oh well.

Offline Dictionary

Re: Can I do anything with these Pecan limbs?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:19 pm »
pecan isnt used much because its hard to find straight peices. If you know there are some straight branches from them that have at least 5 feet of length, i'd say its worth cutting.

Walnut hulls are used for staining wood. It has a nice dark color to it. Not sure about pecan.  Not sure what you are really asking about the fence posts. If it doesnt have insect damage or isnt deteriorating, it should be okay.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:46:04 pm »
Pecan is a hickory(Carya) and should make a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »
Like Scott said, if they have been down for a while they are probably not worth messing with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »
I believe somebody used the hulls to make whistling arrow heads
I like free stuff.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:14:19 pm »
Green pecan hulls soaked in alcohol or water make a good stain. Its actually the basis fir pecan stain (the Color).

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:55 am »
     Thanks guys.  And Scott that was the info I was missing.  It was awhile ago that I read about the old fence post bow and for some reason it was sticking in my head that if they could build a bow from a post why not anything else I could find laying around.  I knew cedar was rot resistant but not the others.  And I guess I'll have to look into using the pecan hulls as a wood stain at least once to see how it works.  I'll have to do a search on the whole whistling arrowheads too.  Thanks again.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:09 pm »
If anybody does any meat smoking, those Pecan (hickory) limbs might be of value to them! YUM!!!

OneBow