Author Topic: tiller check please  (Read 3224 times)

Offline danny f

tiller check please
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:10 am »
hi, i have just started to tiller my first recurve and i just wanted some expert eyes to have a look to see if it looks ok. i have got the string very tight but it is flat on the back of the handle (not at any height) i have got it drawing 12" and havent pulled it more than #51 as i am aiming for around #50-55 at 25" but will probaly tiller it to 27" to be on the safe side. does it look ok? thanks danny

Offline JonW

Re: tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
I'd catch up the right limb with the left some. Don't get too much bend out of the fades too early and you'll be ok

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:48 am »
Doesn't look bad, but like Jon said the right limb is a tad behind the left limb, but it's still early yet. With the long string I would work the bow on the tree until the limb tips are bending to about 9 inches, then I would brace it up to about a 5 inch brace height and work it some more to see how she looks. If all looks good I would brace it at about 6.5 and finish out the tiller. The shorter a string you put on it, the more the outer limb area will work.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:06:15 am »
cheers, i can only brace it to 1/2" at the moment its still to strong for me, if anyone saw me trying to brace that bow they would of had a right laugh. it is bending to 14" now.

Offline Roy

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:14:05 am »
LOL on stringing her. You really should use a bow stringer to string a wooden bow. Much easier, much safer, and safer for the bow itself. You need the bow stringer that has a leather cup on each end.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:33:29 am »
I agree right is behind!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:03 am »
I would first smooth out the transition at the fades.  They look rather sharp and abrupt...that is, they don't follow a gentle curve into the limb.  This will spell trouble, particularly if you've glued on a riser block.  The thickness of the limb should always begin to thicken in the limbs before you get to the riser block.  You probably still have enough wood to achieve this.  If not, you can remove the riser block (Titebond releases at 150 degrees F, or you could sand it off) and apply several thin laminations to build up the handle.  These will bend slightly and keep the riser block you glued on from popping off.

Second, I would get the poundage down now be removing equal amounts of wood from both limbs.  If you can't string it, it's to heavy and you'll risk damaging the bow by drawing it past your intended draw weight (a no-no if you want to minimize set and stress to the wood).  Last, use some sort of stringer to properly string it up.  That will help reduce the risk of damage to the bow and to you  :o 

Once you're there, then we can start dealing with the details of the tiller.  Right now, there's apparently a lot of wood left to remove, and a lot can happen to the tiller in the process.  Nice start, though :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:11:41 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline danny f

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:12 am »
cheers 4est i  will get that lot sorted first and see how it looks.  :)

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:14 am »
Round off your edges, especially the back, before you make it bend anymore.

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »
i sorted the riser block out and scrapped the limbs about 40 times to weaken them abit, when i put it on the tiller tree one of the recurves has pulled out, (not completely but most of it.) will i be able to put it back into recurve with dry heat or will it keep pulling out?

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:17:22 pm »
You can add an underlay to the belly of the recurves to keep them stiff (static).  You can cut them very thin, prebend them with dry heat, and then glue them in place.  1-3 laminations is all that's needed, depending on how thin they are.  A jig is helpful to keep both sides equal.  It's quite easy to do and really helps keep things in place and lined up. 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline danny f

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »
i have removed some wood now and put the recurves back right and reinforced them with laminates of thin ash. its drawing to 20" now.  is the right  limb bending to much or is the left not bending enough im not to sure which one is bending the best.   if anything id say the right is bending too much any advice appreciated

Offline danny f

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
ive got it pulling to 55 pound at 25" which was my aim and i think its as good as i can get it the left limb is slightly stiffer which i shall put on the bottom. i have drawn it to 26.5" just to see if it could handle abit of overdrawing and it pulls 60#.

Offline danny f

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »
looking again it looks abit flat out from the left fade i will give it a few more scrapes i think.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:51:59 pm »
its looking pretty good! i like the tiller shape!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)