Author Topic: What do you finish your wooden arrows with?  (Read 23192 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

What do you finish your wooden arrows with?
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:51 am »
I've fired up the dowel cutter and made some 3/8" poplar shafts....sanded and have them tied in a bundle with some carbon arrows. Now my question is, what to use as a finish? Polyurethane? Oil? Vaseline?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: What do you finish your wooden arrows with?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:54 am »
I think most people  use poly in one form or another. I'm impatient. I use spray lacquer or, lately, lacquer sanding sealer. Either is quite dry in half an hour.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:22:16 am »
I use a spray can of polyurethane.  I sand lightly with fine steel wool and give them 4 or 5 coats.  It seems to work pretty well.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
I use wipe on Spar Urethane.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:45:57 am »
I've used poly(dipped) on store bought arrows and Tru-Oil or pitch varnish on shoot arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »
I stopped finishing hunting arrows so they would be white. Now in the snow they are hard to find so I will coat with charcoal.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:13:42 pm »
Ive found some some simple directions for a dip tube, so I think satin polyp will be my choice. Next question....taper? Worth doing? Never shot tapered arrows, but have also found a simple jig for that. Or should I just keep the first ones simple?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »
Keep your first ones simple until you get comfortable with the process.   I would suggest you use gloss poly for arrows. It is a lot tougher than satin. If they shine too much for you a quick spray of satin poly will cut the shine but make your sealer gloss poly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:15 pm »
Satin is loud as well. Ive tred it. The "rough" surface makes lots of noise. I have tried gasket laquer, wipe on, spray, dipped urethanes and Tru Oil. Tru Oil is the only finish that has never flaked off at the point taper.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:38 pm »
I use wax.....i use wax on everything. Bows, arrows, and any other wood work i do.

Melt the wax over a fire. Take a rag or something and rub it on the wood. Then heat the wood over a fire. This melts the wax and allows it to penetrate the wood. Has a nice dull shine over it.

Anyone else do this?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ncpat

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 03:21:25 am »
I use wax.....i use wax on everything. Bows, arrows, and any other wood work i do.

Melt the wax over a fire. Take a rag or something and rub it on the wood. Then heat the wood over a fire. This melts the wax and allows it to penetrate the wood. Has a nice dull shine over it.

Anyone else do this?

Do you wax the shaft before fletching/nocking/pointing? I would think any glue would hardly stick to the wax. 
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:33 am »
Danish oil but its not for those who are impatient. its oil so it will take time before you can fletch

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:53 pm »
I already use Danish oil on my Bows. Love how it looks, but was thinking I'd need a more durable finish on arrows? How does it hold up to hitting dirt?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:49 pm »
I also use wax, after fletching
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:56 am »
Titebond III.  One coat, done.  Smooth it down with a quick wipe of steel wool.