Author Topic: Black locust time bomb!  (Read 4882 times)

Stringman

Black locust time bomb!
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »
Ok all you BL pros out there need to chime in here. This stick has been sitting in the corner for a couple years and I couldn't leave it alone any longer. I have had mixed success with BL and don't ha e a lot of faith in this piece either. Call me a glutton for punishment or just dense, I'm not sure but I went ahead and shaped this one out to floor tiller.

I put it thru a real minor heat correction already and it seems to have held it well.

If I can get it to full draw I plan to back it, but my biggest worry is the divots in the back.

So there's the story. Any advise would be appreciated. The bow is 62" ttt and I hope to get in the 50s with weight at 28" draw. Is it possible? Should I adjust the bow or my expectations?

Scott

Offline paulsemp

Re: Black locust time bomb!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »
I love black locust and if you have worries back it with rawhide. based off pics you should have no problem . Take your time tillering and exercise between removals. EVERY BL I HURRIED TURNED OUT TERRIBLE!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:50:46 am »
I'm leery of 28" draws with short bows. I know people get away with it, but  don't know how. I make all my bows 66" ntn and manage to avoid set for the most part.

If it's 2" wide I guess you might make your 50+#s. If the divots in the back are places where the grain dives, I think  the back will be OK. If they are spots where a sharp edged tool cut in, that's not good.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:34 pm »
The divots are variations in the wood grain and I tried my best o follow the grain without violation. Hopefully you're right and they won't lead to failure.

I'm starting to get a little bending a long string. I have been working it slow and hope that I can avoid any unnecessary set.

Scott

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »
Scott the lines on the belly sure look good. I have never worked BL but Jawge seems to
love'em so maybe he'll happen along. I'm thinking it looks great so far.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:30:23 pm »
Make the handle work. In my opinion its too short otherwise.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »
Looks like 45 lb@25" to me
Might be a challenge past that !
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:43 pm »
Ok can't say I did t expect this (but still frustrating!!)

I was exercising the limbs tonight in the house, telling my brother-in-law how it was gonna blow violently when KAPOWW!!! I was holding a broken bow and another piece was flying thru the air. Couldn't have been more shocked if a tree woulda fell thru the roof. I know a lot of people love BL but I'm about done with this stuff.

After closer inspection I couldn't find any reason for this kinda blowup. The fault wasnt on any identifiable flaw, so I must either have some bad wood or serious design issues.

Scott

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:51:38 am »
I've done the same with red elm, mulberry, and an unidentifiable species. I'm convinced it wasn't the wood. Warm up your fireplace and start again.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:11 am »
That looks like a design failure to me...not enough surface area in the working limbs to carry a 50@28" work load. How wide was it? Did you not take pearlys advice either and kept the handle stiff? I didn't chime in earlier cus pearl,guy,n jim summed it up well enough.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
Too bad about that one Stringman. I know what you mean about sometimes having that feeling that it won't survive before its done.
I sort have a love/hate relationship with black locust, from some trees its seems dense & strong and makes a exceptional bow yet I'll
have a split from another tree that seems doomed from the start and that one won't make to finished bow without coming in under
weight or outright breaking. I still love a good piece of locust though!  :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:02 am »
Well I admit I was being a bit stubborn on the handle stiffness, but otherwise I was  somewhat confined. The back was near 1.5" I didn't take much away from the original piece.

I think what amazes me so, about this episode was the suddenness of the failure. There was no warning or symptoms leading up to it. Simply, it was a bow with near perfect tiller, and then it wasn't.
BL remains a mystery wood for me. It disdains to make a bow, only for the chosen few.  ??? Oh well on to the next!

Scott

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:34 am »
I've never seen those kinds of divots on the back of any wood. They almost look like vestiges of pin knots. Perhaps leaving some extra wood around the "pins" would have helped.

How long did you give it to rehydrate after heat treating? What was the nature of the correction? Did you check it with a moisture meter?

How far did you draw it before it popped?

I'm working on a BL bow that's 61 in tip to tip. I'll be lucky if I get a 25" draw out of it.

The wood just not have an affinity for long draws from short staves like osage does. In the past it has functioned well when at least 1.75 in wide and 64-66 in for a 26 in draw.

Look below on my post. PD gets mad when I say it s I won't. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:10:50 pm »
Bummer Scott!  I've blown up my share, and still do.  But at least I have more staves in the rotation now.  That seems to lessen the sting a bit as compared to back when I had no backup plans.  It still stinks though!  Josh

Offline Ben M

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »
Yikes, man. That's a heartbreaker. Still, thanks for posting. Newbies (like me) benefit from this sort of post.