Author Topic: Sinew backing  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Sinew backing
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:53:06 pm »
Okay guys, I have just completed my 3rd bow and the only one that I can shoot.  I just backed it with sinew. This is the first time that I have ever attempted this.  MAN, is it ugly!  Are they suppose to look really bad with the backing on it?  I'll get some pictures of it after it dries.  Just looking for some advice from the experts.  Thanks.

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:43 pm »
It's entirely up to you and your skills to make a sinew backing look good.  Most people tend to hide it under snakeskin etc. but you can make it look very smooth and clean.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:31:45 pm »
First sinew job I did was the same way.  I didn't spend enough time prepping and refining the sinew to make it look pretty.  Not sure if there is a penalty in performance though.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:49:37 pm »
Yep, wet sinew looks ugly.  It improves as it dries, though.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
My son-in-law asked me what kind of tree one of my bows came from as he'd never seen bark that looked like that before.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »
Actually does look like bitternut hickory bark, especially with the very outside layer scraped off.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »
Thanks guys.  Yep Josh, that is exactly what I didn't do either.  Did a little research after the fact and should have spent a lot more time on prepping the stuff. 

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
Yup, it can look like a big gooy mess.  After it sets up you can trim the edges and globs.  After it hardens you use a scraper to clean it up more.  Clean it out with a brush, sand it, stain it or paint it, etc. and it will look good.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
You can either spend a lot of time applying it to make it look better, or do what I do and cover it with snakeskin.  That also seals it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »
Do most of you buy your supplies online or do you live in an area that has a shop? 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
Cut my own staves, collect sinew from deer, and make glue from the sinew scraps.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »
I also cut my own osage and have bought hide glue from 3Rivers and traded for some on this forum.  All my sinew came from deer I shot, though I had a friend in Nebraska that had a job running a dredge where he sat idle for hours.  He processed a lot of sinew for me to pass the time.  I sure miss him!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 07:47:00 am »
There ai'nt no backing out there that'll do to a piece of wood that sinew will.Put another course on after sanding in your dips and furrows to make er round and smooth and you'll like the results.It may take a bow or two to get what you like but it'll happen.I presoak my sinew before dipping it in the soup and lightly squeeze the glue from it before applying making sure I've got it the way I want it before applying another strand.Take your time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:00:51 am »
I believe the more time and care taken to keep it meshed and smooth the better the matrix works. Keep in mind the highest point does the majority of the work. If its an ugly, uneven mess I dont believe the sinew and glue are maximized. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:10:07 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:15 am »
I posted a thread over at Paleoplanet with tips on achieving a smooth sinew job on the first try.