Author Topic: RD/Recurve front profile  (Read 1495 times)

Offline DC

RD/Recurve front profile
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »
My last few bows I have made recurve or R/D or a combo of the two. I've had a lot of string alignment and limb twisting issues. I seem to spend more time heat correcting than anything else. I'm wondering if I've got the wrong front profile. I usually made a pyramid or close to it and a lot of the time I have narrow staves(OS doesn't come in wide). I'm wondering if maybe I had parallel limbs, maybe out to string contact at brace, would help? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Offline Eric Garza

Re: RD/Recurve front profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:36:31 pm »
For a pyramid bow, wider limbs can be helpful as otherwise the bending portions near the tip can be quite narrow. If bending portions of limbs end up being thicker than they are wide, then it's easy for them to twist when under tension.

You might also consider making the bow wider than you want it to end up to start with, and tillering from both the sides and belly as you get the wood bending. It's been my experience that sometimes as wood bends, regardless which species, it can warp a little and sent tips that were aligned when you laid the bow out off kilter a bit.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:18:01 am »
Yes definitely keep the width until near the tips. Remember that it will also be thinner and thinner/wider wood holds reflex better.

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:57:06 am »
I make the limbs parallel for a little less than half the length.  When I'm sure that the string is well centered, I'll do a little side tillering while I narrow the tips.  Never tried a pyramid recurve, but I'd bet it would make a fast bow if you can keep the string on track and the tips from twisting.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:11:33 pm »
Build lam bows it may be less frustrating...................... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell