Author Topic: Rockys bow  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Rockys bow
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:43 pm »
I made this bow for my buddy Rocky earlier in year 2012 and just now got around to posting it. Rocky has become my shooting buddy over the last year. Rocky and I have been shooting archery together for about a yr and ahlf now and out of all the people I have introduced to traditional archery, he is the one that has been the hungriest and most comitted to improving as an archer. I decided to make him a bow.

Osage orange 60" n2n. 50# @ 27" Paralell limbs to midlimb 1 3/8" taper to 3/8" at the nocs. belly thickness is 7/16 at the fades.  It deflexed right out of the handle and had some whoop dee doos to deal with but i think the tiller is on and it shoots fast and smooth.

It had a pretty bid deflex coming out of the handle but I think we got it tamed.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Rockys bow
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »
I bet Rocky will be one happy archer!  Nicely done.  Now all you need to do is post a full draw pic  >:D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »
Heres some pics of the tips. They are kind of a modified pin nock. I dyed it black with leather dye. It looks like a talon and is stout enough to run thru a man as a lance if you ran out of arras in the heat of the battle.

And of course the full draw shot.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »
With that sweet design i bet it'll last lonnnnnng. Nice sturdy bow ya made! I sure would be happy to get that...  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:53:26 pm »
That's a really nice bow.  Great job on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:12 am »
A no-nonsense bow who's simplicity makes it so good looking.....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:25:59 am »
Thanks guys. I like this bow better than any of the rest that I have made. If I could get some good skins for it I would like to back it for him. It has a little snake to it and its crying for em. I have some various skins but no matching and none of them that strike me as right. My copperhead bow is pretty sexy but with the character this one has if it had skins it be even better.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:39:57 am »
Lucky Rocky!!! Thats a super fine looking bow and no doubt a great shooter as well. Starting him out with that good a quality of gear is gonna spoil him you know, probably out shooting you already. Nice work Danny.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Roy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:45 am »
That is a very sweet bow.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:50 am »
Thanks Guys. Yeah Greg sometimes he does out shoot me. I been telling him it would happen more often if'n he did'nt wake up in the morning and start drinking his pork chop in the can. I really think he has perfected the art of shooting the bow while standing in a boat at sea. Lol sometime thats what it looks like. Actually it is quite a thrill to see your students out do you from time to time. Makes me focus better.     Danny

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:26:47 am »
Danny, I've always admired your bows. For some reason, I think I can recognize those tillers anywhere. No exception here. Great work.  :)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:30:23 am »
Danny that's a real nice bow. I'm really interested in the handle wrap. Simple but look nice. Maybe you can give me some pointers at OJAM this year.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 01:42:21 am »
Thanks Ross. I'm very flattered by your kind words. I was thru Humbolt county once about 10yrs ago. I understand the place is legendary in certain circles.

Jon.....me give you pointers? Its more like the other way around, but for sure we can exchange ideas. The handle is thin black leather contact glued. I built up a shelf with leather and superglue. I've been putting shelfs on the ones I make for newbies cuz it gives them a consistant placement everytime and it seems to take away the fear alot of new people have about shooting off the knuckle, which is what I do.
 That little shorty bow you just posted looks like a meat maker for sure. By the way are you an OSS member?

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:50 am »
Been a member 2 or 3 years now Danny.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
That's one fine looking bow right there all the way around.  Just curious, is that piece naturally dark, or has it picked up little patina?  Sweet color.
Ah.  Just reread the post! 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.