Author Topic: longbow problems...  (Read 3367 times)

Offline catcalls

longbow problems...
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:25 pm »
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a question. I am only 13 years old, but have been shooting recurve bows for as long as I can remember. My current recurve for hunting is a Browning Nomad Stalker II. It is around 50# at 28" and it is no trouble to shoot, and it is pretty smooth shooting and accurate. Well about a week ago I finished a longbow made of oak and back with nylon webbing. It is not accurate at all, has tons of shock, and just doesn't shoot good at all. I reallize this is not the case for every longbow (the one I made is the only one ive ever shot). I am not a complete newbie to woodworking (ive been making quality custom knives for over 2 years now) but would it be best to buy a quality longbow instead of trying to make one?
Thanks
   Jack Perryman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: longbow problems...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »
Jack, Our first bows or even our first couple of bows are not the best examples of what a long bow should look like or shoot like. If you think you enjoy trying to make a successful bow, keep trying. You have lots of guys here to help with advise. Posting pics helps us help you so please post pics of your current homemade bow and we will see if we can give you some ideas.
  It will probably take you quite a few bows  before you get one to shoot as smoothly as your recurve. Try not to compare them because it will just frustrate you. All bows are accurate when properly matched with the correct arrow and you learn how to shoot the bow. Most problems folks have shooting simple, "primitive" bows is they don't have the properly spined arrows for that bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:34:37 pm »
Hand shock can come from too heavy of tips. A longbow not being center shot like your recurve, will require weaker spine arrows to shoot well like Pat said. My longbows like arrows about 10 pounds weaker in spine than the bows weight.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:31:52 pm »
There is so much joy in shooting a bow that you have made for yourself.  Money is harder to come by than bow wood, so think about building a second bow while you continue to shoot your recurve. 

What kind of "longbow" are you wanting?  There is the classic English Longbow that is very long, very narrow, and very famous for accuracy at longer ranges. Pretty easy to build. There is the great American Longbow that has a narrow handle with wider and flatter limbs, a little tougher to build, but heck---I've made them, they can't be too tough.  Then there are literally hundreds of variations from there. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline catcalls

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:38 pm »
I believe I am after an English style longbow, but I am still very new to longbows. I have a hedge/Osage orange stave thing that has been in my shed for probably 4 years that I have gotten one half down to one ring, and the rest is in my favor. I am still confused a little about arrow shelfs/rests and if they need to be centered or not... thank you to everyone of whom has replied.
   Jack

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
These self bows all shoot better with the bow leaned over about 20-45 degrees, depending on the shooter's style.  That means the angle between your bow hands top knuckle and the grip area is a shallow V where the arrow just naturally lays.  English Longbow makers for the last thousand years would rise from their graves if you cut in a shelf!  They will only spin slightly in their graves if you make a floppy rest or glue on a built up rest in your grip area. 

Four years of seasoning?  Wonderful, osage seems to just get better and better the longer it cures!

If you are making a full-on Union Jack, right-o and Blimey! English Longbow (ELB) then I suggest you do a google search on Dell the Cat's bowyer's blog, or search out his link here.  For one thing, he isn't shy about posting both failures and victories, and always plenty of photos. 

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »
You cut in a shelf on a wooden longbow and we hain't never gonna talk to ya again:) LOL

Offline catcalls

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:19 pm »
So no shelf! Do I just shoot it off my hand? Mr.Halverson, what do you mean by full on union jack, right-o and blimey?
 Also I understand that the middle of a recurve is the middle of your thumb and pointer finger. Is this the same as on a longbow, or is the middle where the arrow sits?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:54:09 pm by catcalls »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »
There are English longbows and then there are English longbows.  To be a true ELB there are a whole set of rules regarding dimensions and the like.  Any deviation from that and those hardcore blokes tend to get their dander up.  If you don't fit all the rules, just call your a bow a ELB "inspired" modern bow. 

Quite often you will see threads in here discussing shortened bottom limbs and the like.  If your bow bends thru the handle, there is no need (in my opinion) to have one limb shorter than the other.  Stiff handled bows, especially when they are on the shorter end of the spectrum, are improved with a shortening of the botto limb.  But that makes tillering a bit more touchy.  Not impossible, just needing a bit more attention. 

ELBs and those inspired by the ELBs are a real pleasure to shoot.  I also enjoy building them!

Lastly, you can call me John, or JW.  No Mister, please.

Offline Ben M

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:52 pm »
Got to give respect where it's due.

Thirteen and building bows? Heck yah, bro! Motivation of this sort--this early in life--shows an uncommon depth of character. Keep it up!

-Ben