Author Topic: arrow rest issues  (Read 1354 times)

Offline ssgtchad

arrow rest issues
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:18:01 am »
I'm finishing a short Osage with a little character, I was too chicken to cut into the handle so I built up an arrow rest with stiff leather. I had it the radius out and looking good, but when I started shooting with it the arrows were flying funny, like in a corkscrew motion. I messed around with different nocking points, same thing. Took the rest off, no issues. Little help please.
Always learning something new.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: arrow rest issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:25:11 am »
Rub some chalk or pencil on the arrow (or the bow and rest) this will help show where the arrow is actually passing.
Also nock the arrow on the string and see where it rests against the bow at brace height, it should be central on the bow grip (not near the belly), a little filed or rasped off the grip to make this right can make a big difference (as can a 1/4" increase in brace height).
Raising nocking point on the string may well also help.
If all else fails shoot off your knuckle... you'll soon know if the nock point is too low as you'll have feathers stuck in your hand >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ssgtchad

Re: arrow rest issues
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »
Thanks Del. I've already removed the rest. Shooting off the knuckle  is soooo much easier. Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely use it for the next one.......by the way love your work.
Always learning something new.