Author Topic: Last bit of yew  (Read 3908 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Last bit of yew
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »
I have a nicely cured 2" square x 59" long piece of yew left over from a recent attempt. I dont want to back it with anything. I want nothing but heat manipulations. Can I get anything for my 27" draw from it? Its maybe 12-15 rpi eastern stuff. The back is one ring clean and pristine. I have a knot or two that shouldnt hurt anything. I can do math and guess as good as anybody as to what to do, but I'd like some yew guys with real experinece to chip in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Last bit of yew
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »
If anybody could get a 27" draw bow out of that piece it would be you Pearly.  I'll expect a full draw picture by tomorrow afternoon  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »
If anybody could get a 27" draw bow out of that piece it would be you Pearly.  I'll expect a full draw picture by tomorrow afternoon  ;)

or earlier >:D       if it was me i would put in some mild recurves and have the handle narrowed but still bending a little bit maybe about a 1 1/4" wide handle and the limbs about 1 3/4"-1 7/8 out to the last 6-8" of the limbs then a straight taper down to 1/2"- 3/8" tips
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »
If your skeered Pearly Boy, just send it to me. :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »
i know you can do it.i can't wait to see what you come up with.good luck brother.hey wait,i am still waiting to see that two hole take-down.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:25 pm »
Back with rawhide for safety and then take it off later :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04:01 pm »
Well you guys took wayyyyy to long to respond. I got it nicely floor tillered 2" wide the full length, the last 8" on each end is narrowed to 3/4"wide. I know I need to make up for my width in extra depth at the grip area, but just how narrow can I go? I have made osage bows that worked in the grip and 1 1/8" "square" wide was ample. Im scared to death of this pine wood stuff. I added 10 feet of rope to my tree just to pull it when the time comes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »
I would keep the grip area 1 5/8th wide.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 09:43:53 pm »
leave it as wide as you would with a poplar bow, 4"  ;D  ;D  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »
You could go as narrow as 1" and would be bending slightly through the handle at about 1" deep, but that would take some careful melding of 2" limbs to 1' handle if you want it bending through the fades and handle.  Sounds liek the 2' wide limbs will get you your draw length with an elliptical, bend through the handle tiller, but you will probably want to flip the tips a bit to avoid stacking.  I dont know why I am typing this...you probably alread have the bow shooting!  ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:45 pm »
Its broke already, sooner than expected. I was gently heating one small section for at least 4-5 minutes trying to bend it ever so slightly really, it cracked 10 ways to heaven in a blink.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:24 am »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:58:46 am »

It was nowhere near ready for that stage.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »
I'm just being that guy pearly >:D :o 8)

At least it wasn't the last piece of yew :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:55:41 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »
I just got done heat shaping/correcting a yew I cut out n floor tillered last night...no problems or issues for me....I've used dry n wet heat with yew n never even had close to an issue with it...I'm gonna be that guy too Bryce..and say it was operator error >:D sorry pal no offense,but ya more than likely did something wrong??  Was it at that knot?