Author Topic: Red Mulberry Questions??  (Read 1636 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Red Mulberry Questions??
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »
  First, happy holidays to all!  Hope that Santa was good everyone.  On to my questions for you guys with some Mulberry cred...Got to cut some Mulberry a few days ago.  Never worked with this wood so I want to get it right.  I have read and been told that it can check badly under the bark, straight to the bone.  I have sealed the ends and left the bark on and it will dry in my shop.  Good, or should I take the bark off and seal  the back?
  Secondly, I want to leave the sapwood on for the back.  The sapwood ring just above the heartwood is about 3/8" thick.  Can I, or should I thin that down?  Any other thoughts or tips are appreciated. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Red Mulberry Questions??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
Happy Holidays back at cha!
I haven't ever had any problems with mulberry checking--with or without the bark. However, I did once have a big problem with borers on a stave that was left with bark-on for 5 years. As far as leaving the sapwood on, you can do it, but like you said its a good idea to reduce it down. I read somewhere once upon a time that you can use around a 4:1 ratio of sapwood to heartwood--that might be too much though. Good luck.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline tanner

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »
I'm by no means a veteran here, but I do have a little experience with mulberry. The things I'll offer up are that if you don't seal ends they crack really quickly. Splitting a mulberry log with axe and wedges SUCKS when the log is still wet. I've been using a chainsaw to split them length-wise with quite a bit of success though it should be mentioned that others have expressed concern about grain violation with that approach. I'm not sure I understand the concern since I always watch grain while reducing. Like I said - I'm still a no0b, but that's what I have for mulberry. :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:23:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  It's already been split into staves,and yes it is stubborn, but not as bad as the Elm I cut with it.  Little 4 inch sapling was murder to split!  No argument from me on using the chainsaw to split.  I usually kerf with a Skilsaw and then split.  No problem as long as you understand the bigger picture.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »
I built one bow of it andused the sapwood as a back. I later put on silk as the sapwood was ugly. Bow worked just fine. I even recurved the tips. As for checking, it sat in log form in my garage for months with just bark, no seal, and it didn't check. I then roughed it out as a bow and let it set longer with no problems. You will be ok.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others