Author Topic: Fun with a trail camera  (Read 2939 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Fun with a trail camera
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:31 am »
A few weeks ago I broke down and bought a trail camera.  I have been wanting one for a long time but was afraid if I got one, it would end up getting stolen and I would be out a lot of money.  A few days before my birthday I had a bit of good luck and ended up getting $135 of unexpected money.  My wife suggested getting a trail camera.  We went to Dick's sporting goods and I picked out a Primos Truth Cam.  The strap that came with it was junk so I replaced it with a small chain and bungee cord set-up that works great.  I put the camera out in a couple of different spots and got a few pictures, but nothing exciting.  I moved it to a small pond about a 100 yards from my house in a small valley.  I have been getting some great pictures down there.  In the last couple of weeks I have had 4 different bucks walk by.  They should be some bruisers next season.  I have been having a blast with this camera.  When I get go and switch the cards out I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  I can't wait to run home and see what I got pictures of.

I cleared out some of the brush in front of it today.  I think the camera was focusing on it a little in the night shots.  Our house is straight up the hillside on the other side of the pond.  While putting the camera out I picked out a gnarly osage tree to put a stand in next year.  I will have about a 7 yard shot to the trail that they are walking on.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fun with a trail camera
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:26:16 am »
We bought a trail cam a few years ago after we found an unrecovered doe on a powerline near our home. We watched it slowly disappear over a weeks time. The year we got the cam we had heavy snow all winter(quite odd for us). One day on our walk we saw blood in the snow across the creek. A doe had been taken down by coyotes as she attempted to cross the creek. We placed the cam focused on her and collected the card(just as excited as you) and headed for the house to check the pics out. You would be amazrd at the animals that visit a downed deer. From coyotes to hawks to regular song birds, to our lab Lucy, to the neighbors dog, to coons and on and on. A week later there was nothing but hair and blood in the snow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:11 am »
cool pics! thanks for sharing.
That last one sorta gives the impression that the doe was so close that she fogged up the lens with her
breath.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:51 am »
Nice shots Clint!  I get excited too when I collect the pics.   That's a great idea Pat had to put the cam by a downed deer.  I may have to try that next time I find one.  Happy Holidays Clint, long time no hear. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:58 am »
Very neat pictures!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Roy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:18 pm »
Very nice pictures.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:56:31 am »
WARNIG MY FRIENDS The use of trail cameras may be addictive and cause long term forgetfulness of the things others exspect you to think about ;D  A few years ago I refused to use trail cams another modern gadget to clutter up my love of the wilds. Then it happened I used one my brother inlaw loaned me to put on one of my favorite spots :o. then I bought two one stopped working this year so I bought two more and still I want more. I make break neck hikes to get my pics now my pack always has SD cards, two years ago I did'nt know wat they where. And I have been caught staring at pics of Bulls, Bucks, Fawns sucking, Bear, Cougar, Birds etc. etc. When exspected to take out trash, visit, wipe drool off key boards Oh my! it's horrible >:D

Good photos enjoy the addiction ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:08:18 pm »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 11:15:16 pm »
How fast does the video mode run down your battery life Roy?  My camera has that option but I haven't tried it yet.  I have got over 100 pics so far and I'm still at 99% battery life.  I'll probably get 30 minutes of squirrels fighting on video.

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
LOL on the squirrels fighting. I can set my camera to take pictures every so often. There are time out settings in my camera I can set so it only takes a picture and video, then won't trigger again for anywhere from a minute on up to maybe an hour. I use Moultrie cameras, my old camera took 6 D batteries and they would last about a year with a  thousand pictures and a hundred of videos. My new camera takes 6 AA batteries and they last 3 to 4 months. In day light the camera takes 30 second videos, at night it takes 10 second videos.

http://s47.beta.photobucket.com/user/ROY-CHRIS/media/MDGC0011.mp4.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:22:24 pm by Roy »

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:13 pm »
Cool pics...the trail cameras are great fun.  I have one out most of the year!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »
Clint I got the same camera you have last year for Christmas and it is still a blast to use. It has
taken 3-4 thousand pics and still has the original batteries. I have several videos saved as well.

Last doe I killed I took the hams, shoulders and backstraps but did not open the carcass. Took
the pile to the back of the back field and set up the camera. Ground was clean the next day and
I had over 2k images. Never knew there were that many buzzards in the world!

One thing to remember...when it gets close to the season next year pull your camera out of the
woods. Deer get rather jumpy.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/EarlLane/th_008-8.jpg

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

Out of practice, sorry.

Offline Roy

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 07:07:40 pm »
That looks like Clint running from the cops.... :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:10:10 pm »
I can't move anywhere near that fast. 

I'm pulling my card tomorrow and I can't wait to see what I have on it.  We had some more snow so hopefully I have picture of a nice buck in the daytime.