Author Topic: One simple bow  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Re: One simple bow
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 07:37:57 pm »
All this info  :o lol Im wondering If i should do a build along and you all can guide me along!? i know the basics on what needs to be done. Might be the only way I can get some instruction as I make my second bow. What do you guys think?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »
If you just want to make A bow so you can say you did it or so you have a bow to shoot then, yes, do a build along and get a bow made that will last.  If you want to build more bows in the future, and get better, then I would use this bow to do some more learning by exhausting all possible changes to it.  Then, start another bow and try to make that perfect bow.  If it comes close to what you wanted then call it good and start another.  If it doesn't, use it to do some more learning and start again. 
That way you are actually making many bows from just a couple of boards. 

So I would either get the handle bending on that bow or back the bow or recurve it or whatever.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 09:16:44 pm »
Steve we all no there is no such thing as a perfect bow  >:D 8)

Yeah bud check out all the build alongs in this forum. "How to's and build alongs" section might have what your looking for. The maybe start a "help along" thread. But be ready to hear alot of advice. Soak it up, and keep building :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »
All this info  :o lol Im wondering If i should do a build along and you all can guide me along!? i know the basics on what needs to be done. Might be the only way I can get some instruction as I make my second bow. What do you guys think?

Hey, don't sell yourself short.  You made a shooter out of a very short piece of osage.  I don't think you need as much help as you do.  If you have access to more osage, get yourself a piece about 60" long.  On this one concentrate on gradually thinning the bow limbs from the handle to the tip.  Also concentrate on exercising more between wood removals.  If you haven't already, make yourself a pulley tillering setup so you can get a little back from the bow while you're exercising it so you can see the bend better.  To get a shooter on your first attempt is good work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Roy

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »
You will learn more with every bow you make.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24:05 pm »
 :) And thats my plan Roy, I wont stop or get discouraged, bow making is much less demanding than forging my own knives in my opinion, I started forging Tomahawks from ballpeen hammers and its a VERY large learning curve. I hope to make some knives and hawks good enough to trade and send as gifts to a few of you guys

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:14 pm »
That bow looks not to bad for a first or second even. Your outer tips are not bending at all. If you had the outer 3rd bending your bow would never have broken. Keep those outer thirds bending, and shorter bows do like having the handles bend. With osage though you can get by with allot though.

The " perfect bow " is open to interpretation yall know....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline steve b.

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 11:30:37 pm »
What I meant by "perfect" is just that you learn when you are struggling and you struggle striving for perfection.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 11:45:37 pm »
 ;) Good save Steve.