Author Topic: One simple bow  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
One simple bow
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:09:26 pm »
Well this is a bow some of you helped me fix and mend. ;)  Dave Weiss Helped me build the bow itself its the first and only bow Ive ever made and only bow I own. No backing, its 46" long when strung and draws @ 24" @ roughly 50# Im looking to do a little more with it, add wrap to the handle. I thought about bringing the weight down to 45#, but after it broke on me Im sure thats no longer an option. I may add white tail antler to the tips. other than that I dont think theres anything else I can do. She isnt true one limb definately bends more than the other.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: One simple bow
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:12:07 pm »
Woah! Bud get that handle bending ASAP!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:20 pm »
How do I go about that?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »
Slowly remove wood from the stiff parts of the bow. Mostly in the handle.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
Im a little worried on it breaking somewhere else.. Where the sinew wrap is on the lower limb is where it broke last time.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
Yeah i agree, these short bows really need to be working in the handle having no areas that are stiff........ Id remove wood from the handle and inner limbs.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:17:14 pm »
Ok... I'll post when its finished.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 03:24:54 pm »
Unfortunately the damage is already done and I'm sure it has taken some serious set and string follow.....that upper limb is hinged bad...and the fades and handle need to be bending more...but I think by the time all of those areas are corrected your gonna have less than a 30 pound bow...and this is another reason why osage is king...I'm assuming that's osage.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 03:40:17 pm »
LOL!! Blackhawk... Yea apparently I typed out osage in my head and not here,  I do agree if I do anymore work the bow will be really weak and I dont want it less than 45/40#s.

Scott thats not a bad idea. I do have a hackberry in the works and maybe thatll turn out better off.

Thanks again guys!!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 05:47:14 pm »
Yup, chalk it up as a victory and move on to the next one. (Victory because it held together).

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:54 pm »
My godness,only osage would take that kind compression force before fretting out ! Is it shot in?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »
Any chance we could see an unstrung picture?  I'm curious how much set that amount of bend forced.  I'm feeling a little silly worrying about bending my osage considerably less than that.  However, my most agressive bow sure did take some set.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 06:56:41 pm »
It is very well shot in, its the only bow I have so I shoot it often, I tillered alot and worked it more so in between tillering a few times til I got the poundage I wanted. Took a very long time because I knew the risks of making such a short bow with the draw I wanted.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:06:00 pm »
the tiller on this one looks like my first one  ::) its got hinges on both limbs and yet it shoots just fine.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too much over your first bow. At least it shoots!
It's got what I call a square shape, which often happens with peoples first few bows.
By squre I mean it's a bit like three sides of a square, the grip being one side and the two tips being the other, with nearly all the bend a tmid limb.
An arc of a circle is a better shape to aim for, it's not perfect according to some theories, but it's a good target. It's easier to check for than other shapes too, just hold a CD up in front of the bow or a picture of it and you can move it back and forth to try see if it follows the curve.
If you want more draw length you need to get the inner limbs and outer limbs moving more, this will loose you some draw weight but gain draw length and also take some of the strain off the middle of the limbs.
Till ering is all about getting you eye attuned to seeing the curve and spotting problems before they get too obvious.
Good luck
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.