Author Topic: Question for lefties  (Read 1371 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Question for lefties
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »
One of the reasons I got interested in making bows was because of lack of choices for lefties.  Anyone else in the same boat? 

I got to go pheasant hunting a while back and had a blast!  Decided I was going to get a gun as I haven't owned one in many years.  I didn't really want to get an over/under so decided on an 870 shotgun.  I figured I could pheasant hunt, deer hunt, turkey hunt, all with the one gun.  After going to many gun shops and looking online, I have found it hard to find any shops with a left handed gun in stock (I figure it is really only important on the pump shotgun).  They are all special order.  Where do you lefties that also gun hunt go for new guns?  I haven't had any luck in the used market either- any suggestions there?  Shoot me a PM as I'm sure the mods don't want to see other websites on here, even if it isn't bow related. Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Question for lefties
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 05:07:36 pm »
I just shoot right handed guns... I have a mossberg 500 12 gauge pump that I shoot left handed and I have never had a problem.  The safety is on the back of the reciever where the hammer would be if it had one so it is easy to engage/disengage no matter which hand u shoot with as opposed to the 870 that has the safety in the trigger guard.  Other than that I really dont see a reason not to just shoot the 870 left handed.  Good luck whichever way u choose to go with it.. us southpaws always seem to have to just make do or adapt in this right handed world right?  I also started making bows for the same reason u did.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:50:16 pm »
I shoot everything rightie except bows and yes, the main reason I started building was the lack
of lefty bows available for purchase. As for the shotgun Josh and many others agree that a Mossberg
500 or any gun with a tang safety works pretty decent for a southpaw.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:48:01 pm »
i've always shot right handed rifles lefty, my 870 as well till about 4 years ago my ma in law gave me her old savage .243 left hand bolt, she's blind in one eye and shot left handed, took awhile to get used to that bolt on the correct side, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tony Chinn

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:04:33 am »
Some gun shops will special order you a LH 870 for just a few dollars more, that's what I did or find a Browning bottom eject.
No matter where you go there you are.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:27:03 am »
you could also look for an ithica model 37 botom eject.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:59:58 am »
I have been shooting lefty since I was a kid with bows and guns. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I never had a problem shooting the right handed equipment, but I probably have an edge since I am technically right handed. I do hate it when hot cartridges land in the bend in my elbow, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:55:33 pm »
seabass is right I know several lefties that shoot Ithica shot guns and love them. I am a lefty, but I do most everything right handed included shooting.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »
Over and unders are pricey but don't discriminate. Single shots would also work. Always shot rh guns left. It works.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »
I have shot guns left handed my whole life and have never even touched a left handed gun. Only ever ran into two or three that gave me problems because of being wrong handed.
Steve Bennett

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:48:51 pm »
I'm left handed and I got a Browning 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a thumb safety on the top that basically makes the gun lefty/righty neutral. I got this gun as my universal, do-everything gun and I love it. I have shot several deer with it and used it for grouse and rabbits as well.

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:32 am »
I am basically left handed but somehow I shoot guns and bows right handed. Both my sons are completely left handed they both shoot right right handed guns, even bolt action rifles the only left handed gun we own if a .22 remington bolt action rifle. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?