Author Topic: Question on two woods....  (Read 1416 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

Question on two woods....
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:25 am »
I have two pecan trees and a large river willow in my yard that both need limbs trimmed. Some of these limbs (especially on the willow) are very straight and one is even a good 6" thick. Worth salvaging to split and dry for arrows? I've tried searching the forum but most discussions on willow are about shoots and pecan gets mentioned but only in terms of "its been done" not whether they turned out.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Question on two woods....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:25 am »
The last willow I had seemed to want to warp, even when stored in the quiver.  You could try grooving it, that might help.  I would cut the limb in sections three feet long or maybe a little more.  Seal the ends and let them dry.  If you have some decent sized pecan limbs that are fairly straight, you might get a bow out of it.  I have never tried pecan for arrows.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:34:38 am »
I tried willow and didn't have much luck with it - it was too light.  For it to spine heavy enough for my 45 - 50lb bows, it would have to be bigger around than a pool cue. I read that it was used by the Native Americans, but it must be a different species than we have here in the Southeast.   Pecan makes a good heavy arrow, and is very similar to hickory.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:10:20 am »
  I only made 1/2 dozzen WILLOWS. They are light in spine so you no have to made them in the 1/2 range depending on the weight to wish.
 I staighten once and bundled them up. I was at least a year before I got around to them. So after straighting tempering them and restraighting them again. Mine did'nt warp. I heard from others their's warped.
  I think it was the exture seasoning time and the tempering the reasons mine did'nt warp. Or maybe it's because they were logs.

I don't have any exsperance with pecans. Bows but not arrows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:16 am »
I think I'll cut the willow with an eye towards youth arrows, I've got a stack of nieces that I've made 15-25 lb board bows for. The pecan i may cut and dry without a set plan, I haven't made a self bow yet. Have a hickory stave or two drying that I cut in the fall.