Author Topic: maybe sum one can help me id this log  (Read 1848 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

maybe sum one can help me id this log
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
my uncle  got  the lot right beside me  that i hunted on  and him and my dad have been cleaning it up  cutting  sum trees  there was one  in front of my  tree stand  that  was on his land that the cut  i seen it laying  there the other day  and asked them what type of tree it was  they  sad  they no it as a banana leaf tree but that is all i no  only  got a pic of the log   not the tree cause win i seen it  i was like hey i need that  its 50in long i don't no how wide  one side is thicker then the other if you have any Ida  of what its called  and if it  would be good bow wood let me no  as of right no its on my porch waiting  for me to split it . going to try and get it in to 4 stave's if  i can . thanks

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: maybe sum one can help me id this log
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:21 pm »
Looks like bow wood to me!  If possible, can you pick up some fallen leaves from where the tree was cut?  The leaves will really help with the ID.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:03:34 pm »
i well look and see win i get the chance

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »
Maybe HHB but I'm not positive. If it is it makes good bows!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »
That log looks just like our ironwood (hop-hornbeem) up here in the North country sir...Very excellent bow wood. That bark looks exactly like ours so I'm pretty sure that's what ya got.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
That sure looks like HHB to me.  seal the ends up with glue, shellac, or polyurethane before it starts checking.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:39:33 pm »
Yup..that eastern hophornbeam for sure....has a slight twist to it that you'll have to prob correct,but should make ya some bows

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
My first thought was hornbeam also. Not familiar with it but collected some in WI a few years ago. Split it and make some bows.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
thanks for the comments now that sum of you have sad it looks like hhb, i thank there is a big chance it might be i went and looked it up and seen that it grows bye swamps and rivers , i live on a river so it fits i am going to look for sum of the leaves to confirm it tho as soon as i can idea love to be hunting today but we got big storms coming in so maybe tomorrow i can get out

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »
Debark definitely looks like HHB.... like Blackhawk said watch out  ;)for that twist
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:17:32 pm »
OK guys  i can  say that  you all was right on the money . i found  3 more trees today while i was  out doing  sum rabbit huntting with my 22 and  i looked at the dead leaf that was on theses trees and its a match to Hhb leafs i have  seen thanks for the  help  .