Author Topic: OsageIII Stave was A gift from Flinthills50  (Read 2850 times)

Offline sleek

OsageIII Stave was A gift from Flinthills50
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:54:51 am »
Here is a bow from a stave that was very generously given to me by Mr. Flint Hills50 when I met him at OJAM 2012. If yall ever get a chance to meet him, he is one heck of a man with amazing knapping skills. Look forward to next year and thanks again buddy!

Ok, this bow gave me a time making, the rings were very thin, it had a large dip and twist from a knot that was below the belly, and I came 10 lbs under weight. So I piked it 6 inches to 62 inches which also took most of the recurves off. I couldnt re-recurve, as it was already so short, I didnt wanna overstress a thinned ringed bow. So I heat treated it reall nice and brown, which looks really nice on osage by the way, and got it up to 40 pounds. Went with a simple handle on this one, and antler tips. The bow started with 3 inches of reflex, ended with 1.5 after resting.

This stave was gifted to me, and I really wanted it to be something special as a bow. So I waited until I had a real good reason to make one of it. That opportunity came when I met the father of a Navy SEAL deployed to ( its classified ) and told me that when his two boys were younger, their past time was archery. So.... I offered him to make a bow for his son in the military for Christmas. I figured this would be worthy of the stave.

Anyways, heres the goodies...

40@28

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: OsageIII Stave was A gift from Flinthills50
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:57:19 am »
Very nice! i like the handle(bare) and the heat treating looks good!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:08:42 am »
that otta make him happy, nice one sleek, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:16:44 am »
Great lookin bow Sleek! That heat treating does give it some nice highlights.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:54 am »
Nice bow, Sleek, and nice job for a worthwhile recipient! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:55 am »
Very nice indeed, both the bow and your willingness to gift it to someone so deserving. Nice going Sleek!
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:00:21 am »
Very nicely done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
I like it.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »
Well done, very nice.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
Good job Sleek and you have a great heart to gift it to a worthy recipient. See you at OJAM this spring. I'm not sure if we met did we?    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »
Thank you very much everybody! I gave it to the dad, and he is loving it. I really am looking forward to when his son comes home and they all 3 ( he has another son as well ) get to do some shooting. And they all have a bow made by me, so to me, that's kinda neat. Archery is a wonderful thing. Dave, if you were at the last OJAM, if you recal a guy jumping into the pond after the clout shoot to retrive the arrows, that was me. You would have to tell me if we met?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »
I got this picture of his dad shooting the bow for him ( the SEAL is in another country, and were it to be shipped, I would worry about the humidity and temp wrecking the bow ). He will be recording it and such for his son to know whats waiting on him when he gets back.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 10:16:23 am »
 Yeah I remember you. a couple buddies of mine and I shot the clout and they dropped a couple in the water that you so couragously saved thanks again. I will look forward to seeing you again.

I love OJAM and I have grown fond of my friends here online as well. Those of us here on PA REALLY should do something about being able to identify one another if we are going to go.I don't remember if PA had a booth or not but maybe what we could do is have a sign up sheet where everyone that comes on here could sign up and add their screen name and then we could actually see who is who and share our projects and drool over one anothers bows. Maybe we can break bread together or something. I don't normally make bows while I'm there but usually have someone (or in the case of last year several someones) I'm helping make their first bow. It has become a tradition for us to go and our southern Kansas contingency is growing every year. Last year we brought 15 including my wife and some of the guys young lads. It looks like right now that number might be up to 20 but we will see the closer we get.

Really nice bow once again and look forward to this year for sure.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God