Author Topic: Del's First BBY  (Read 9575 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Del's First BBY
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 01:24:27 am »
Very nice as always Del. Thanks for sharing your inlay methods. I've been considering trying one on one of my bows.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 02:52:57 am »
Very ni :)ce!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 04:05:07 am »
@JW- I'll be buyin' you a sack full of lottery tickets.
I'm PM ing you the tea specification, and BTW you forgot the toast... gotta have toast ;D  ::)

And if I win the lottery I'll come over there and do that road trip and build a log cabin up in the cascades (so there'll be somewhere to stay while cuttin' Yew )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
Nice all the way around Del.  Classic.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:47 am »
Very nice bow Del. I'm curious--it looks like the grain pattern in your plug follows exactly the pattern in the limb??
Eric
Hi, yes, I try to get the end grain of the plug running the length of the bow. I feel it may be stronger that way, and I think it looks better.
Del

Offline Dane

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 07:03:14 am »
Tardy as always and late for the party. Stunning bow, clean and lovely as all your work is. I adopted your CD trick (in this case, Blade Runner, the Final Cut DVD) to view the arc of circle on the screen. Can I be you when I grow up? :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »
I was del the cat for holloween:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline k-hat

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
If ever I hit the lottery, Del, I am heading to Oregon to harvest a shipping container load of yew to send you.  Then when it has all cured a bit and arrived on your lovely little island, I am flying over to become your adoring and worshipful apprentice.  I promise to be up an hour before you so I can get the shop warmed up and your tea brewed to your exact specifications.  At the end of the day I will stay late to sweep up, put everything in order, sharpen and oil all your tools.  Heck, I will sleep on a pile of shavings in the corner with a burlap bag for a blanket.  I will hide in the closet if friends drop by, in order to save your reputation.  All this in hopes that some day I will learn enough from you that maybe I have a chance of turning out an ELB half as good as your stuff.   

But I don't want you to think I'm sucking up to you or nothing.   :-\

Yup, my thoughts as well!  We'll split the airfare and i'll hide in the overhead compartment :o

Superbly done as always del.  Love everything about it!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:27:56 pm »
Beautiful bend, great fit on the tips, classy handle wrap and sweet inlaid arrow pass. Tough to not fall in love with that bow. So, how did you handle the boo? Did you remove the rind or leave it? What did you do at the nodes?
I asked the guys on here!
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36419.msg479494.html#msg479494
Got some great advice which I followed!
Del

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »
Ok, right.
I lightly filed the ridge off the nodes (including some light use of a round needle file to clean up the slight groove by the lip), leaving the main smooth swell of the node.
I scraped carefully with a cabinet scraper until the rind was gone (it's pretty obvious as you go through the rind) then 120 and 240 grit wet & dry paper, with Danish oil to finish.
The actual Boo was taken down with a freshly sharpened plane aiming for about 1/8 at the grip 1/16 at the ends and then cleaned up on the belt sander.
On the finished bow the edges are well chamfered  to blend in.
BTW I've narrowed that last 7" of the tips today as they looked a bit fat and I was slightly dissapointed that it was the same speed as all my other 50# bows, I'd been hoping for a bit more!
Del

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:56 pm »
Beautiful job Del! 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 09:54:45 pm »
AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 02:30:07 pm »
BTW I've narrowed that last 7" of the tips today as they looked a bit fat and I was slightly dissapointed that it was the same speed as all my other 50# bows, I'd been hoping for a bit more!
Del

In other words, yew don't need no stinking bamboo!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.