Author Topic: Anyone cut their own backing strips?  (Read 965 times)

Offline KShip85

Anyone cut their own backing strips?
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:01 pm »
Hey everyone.  I'm just curious if anyone cuts their own wood backing strips and if so what is the best way to go about doing it.  I'd like to cut some quatersawn strips from a maple log.  I was experimenting with cutting some hackberry for strips and had a bit of a difficult time coming up with the best way to do it.  I have access to all kinds of power tools( table saw, bandsaw, planer, belt sanders etc) How perfect does the grain need to run?  Can I assume that the grain on the edge is more important than the face?  I have a couple projects in the planning phase and I'd like to rip down some strips so I can have them on hand.  Any help would be great, thanks all. :)

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline fiddler49

Re: Anyone cut their own backing strips?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »
A good table saw with a good rip blade can cut nice backing. My friend built a wood sled, jig, that keeps the thin backing from jumping back at him. We sliced up a bunch of boards with it and got some very nice 1/8" backings
out of hickory, purple heart, yellow heart and zebra wood. The nice thing is, some of these exotic hards woods are close to an inch thick and slicing 2 or 3 backings off it still leaves enough wood for a self bow. Much less waste. We were able to cut backing up to 2 5/8 " wide and less than an 1/8 " thick with minimal sanding.
cheers fiddler49
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:28:02 am by fiddler49 »

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Anyone cut their own backing strips?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:03 pm »
Do it all the time.
I use a bandsaw with 4tpi 1/2 in. blade.. jigged up a long fence and take my time... cut slightly oversized and clean up saw marks by running thru the planer...
Saves digits!