Author Topic: Tillering trouble.  (Read 3431 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Tillering trouble.
« on: December 24, 2012, 01:43:51 am »
So I've posted about my bow recently on my old thread but no one seemed to notice so I wasn't sure if i had to make a new one or not? Can someone clear this up for me? How are members supposed to know when I've updated my old thread.

Well anyways I just got her drawing pretty good and I've got a few pics of me drawing it from a low brace.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Tillering trouble.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:10 am »
well, for one i have been checking your thread, two, you can update your progress by putting in the title of your first post (Updated 12/22  12:00AM) by the first post i mean going to the very first post in the thread and clicking modify, then edit the title(this is what i do to let people know things have change.) Third. Your bottom limb is looking good, but the top im seeing a stiff spot that isnt bending as much as the rest of the other limb.

EDIT: I should add, that line isnt exact measure of where its not bending, its just a marker for where you need to take a look and see what you need to do.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:58:24 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:57:39 am »
Okay thank you very much for that information. I'm not trying to make anyone mad at me for posting new threads so much. Just a little new I would say.

Thank you, I just noticed that stiffness now. As I remove more wood how should I decide which limb should be my top limb? I still have not decided.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:22 am »
the weaker limb(the limb that bends a tad more) will be your top limb(unless you made one limb shorter or longer than the other.)  Remember after removing wood to "teach" the wood to bend, just draw it back a bit, then a bit more, ect, once you get to where you were before you can see how you did at correcting the tiller.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:57 am »
There is a "show new replies to your posts" link at the top left part of the page which members check frequently so there is no need to start new posts. :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:10 am »
Haha that's a good point you have Pinecone. I guess I didn't think about that.  :P

So as I am finished removing wood slowly draw it to the previous draw length I had it at? Not just pull right to exact length?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:49 am »
pull to a fraction of it in example. if i had just had it at 24" then i removed wood i would take it down to 15" then relax it, then to 18 relax 22 relax 24 relax then check tiller at 24"

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 02:09:58 am »
Okay that makes good sense. I still don't even know the draw weight of this bow and it's driving me crazy because my scale wont be here for at least a week. Hoping I made it at least into the 45# to 50# range. I guess we will see when the time comes.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 02:35:57 am »
I ordered one as well, trust me when i say that if you make 30 you will be in good shape, Whats important right now is making a nice tiller, once you got that down then you can tackle heavy bows, however, if you get a heavy bow then right on!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:42 am »
Matt. when it comes time to fling some arrows, adjust that bow arm elbow.  Dont lock it out, put a little bend in it.  Not that you asked ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:13 am »
Looking pretty good,just keep working the flat spots and move on a ince or so at a time,slow and easy. :) What draw are you at now and what weight at that draw ? What draw are you looking for and what weight ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:31:17 pm »
can't you just measure the weight with a bathroom scale like you did last week?
as far as which limb to make the top, assuming that the string lines up in the middle of the handle, some folks would just try it both ways and see which way shoots arrows better.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »
The bow looks like it's coming along ok but it looks like your starting to develop a hinge in your elbow!  :o ;D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 03:05:47 am »
Hahaha I knew someone was going to mention my arm. Even I was like what the hell, looks like a badly tillered bow. Thanks guys for the help. I'm excited to complete it and show everyone how it looks. I tried the bathroom scale and it just seems so off to me. And plus I made myself a new tiller with a pulley so I can't use that scale any longer. Walmart has a scale for like 5$ that goes up to 50lb. I might try that out until the 88lb comes in.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 01:34:48 pm »
How does she look now? 28" draw. I have no idea what the weight is at but it feels pretty good.