Author Topic: I dont know what to do ...  (Read 1705 times)

Offline CedrikG

• My Youtube channel
I dont know what to do ...
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:19 am »
Hey guy's!
I been working ... a LOT on an ash stave bow in the last weeks... It is coming to its end (pic will be added today or tomorrow).

I was wondering, What do you guy's to at the end, do you taint it, vernish it ... what do you do to protect the bow ?
Adapt to Mother Nature and she will provide

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: I dont know what to do ...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:03:50 am »
I take out the marks with a knife. Once I string it I usually a scrper like tool to tiller so there are not many marks. I sand with 100 grit and then 220. Then I dampen the grain with a paper towel, let dry and sand with 220 until no  ore grain is raised. Then I finish sand with 400 and 600 grit. On a whitewood bow, I stain it and then finish with 3 coats of spar urethane. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:07:46 am »
What George said. Get all the tool marks out and get here sanded. Get her stained up with whatever color suits you. I usually put on a few coats of shellac since it sticks to anything and you can follow up with a poly or one of the oil finishes like tru oil or tung oil, etc.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline CedrikG

• My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:48:44 pm »
Thanks a lot!

been doing most of the step .... that said with all the christmas gift, money is a problem. I only found Interior varnish 100% acrylic crystal, for furtinure and woodwork. Would that work ?

Offline CedrikG

• My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:24:33 pm »
Anybody ?

This is a christmas gift so it need to be done as soon as possible :)

Thanks in advance