Author Topic: Osage RPI  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Osage RPI
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 01:56:25 pm »
thanks for all the input guys. I will be posting the bow I made sometime soon.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 02:19:21 pm »
I too prefer thin ringed osage but I usually back it with rawhide for insurance. The rawhide can be pretty cool looking if it becomes transparent with the glue(hide) or an oil finish like Tru-Oil or it makes a great pallet for decorating when it is translucent.
  If a thin ringed osage stave has knots or pins showing on the back I think you definately need a backing because it is so difficulkt to get a clean back without voilating the back ring around the knots and pins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 03:19:09 pm »
Anymore I prefer tight ringed Osage. That bow John just posted had ten rings in the limbs but I've made em with even tighter rings than that. It seems to me that tight rings (with good ratio) make a little better performing bows than say 1/4" rings with equally good ratio.

I second that. Although maybe I just have good osage with thin rings, don't know.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »
Pat, I had considered backing it with rawhide but when it turned out so nice without it I decided to see if it could take it all the way thru tiller and it did. 
 The 10 rings in the other post is pretty good considering that mine had 7 rings in a 3/8th thick limb. I'm not sure how thick his limbs were but that puts my rings at a little less than 1/16th. I like how it looks out of the fades because and the dips because of all the layers.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »
Since any osage I find around my house tends to be dropped off by the post man or UPS, I don't tend to pass on much of it.  I take it as it comes. 

That little trick of backing with rawhide is great ammunition to keep in your war chest.  Yeah, high early growth to late growth isn't optimal.  But has anyone actually done a good scientific comparison head to head?  Are we talking 10% slower?  In an average 150 fps from a 50 lb bow, you still have more than enough energy to do a thru-and-thru on a deer. 

So if you end up with an RPI that you like, and the early to late ratio isn't amazing, push yourself to milking the very best from the bow with better design and execution.  It's all about the challenge of doing your best with the materials at hand.  If your final criteria is performance, go play with space age polymers, wheels, levers, hydraulics, and computer aided design. 

That's my opinion.  and I'm glad there are those of you that disagree and happily post pics of your work!  Keep it up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will H

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »
Nice :) that bow "10 ring" I made for John was just under 1/2" thickness in the limbs. It turned out to be a real nice performing bow :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"