Author Topic: Sinew Backed Yew Build Along.*finished pg.14*  (Read 101196 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Sinew Backed Yew Build Along.
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2013, 07:49:09 pm »
Hey thanks josh where yah been?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »
LOVE this build along.  THANKS for sharing.  I've never sinew backed a bow but have been wanting to.   What are your thoughts about the tite bond hide glue?  I've heard it wasn't good for backing bows??? ???   I have seen another build along online and the guy used the same stuff.  Seemed to turn out ok for him.  I really hope it works.  Looks like an awesome bow.     
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »
I see.Rewetting the back with more courses after tillering to 25" then reversing it will accomplish the same thing.No matter what order it's done.That sinew is some easily manipulated wonderful working stuff.It's kind of a long haul but the rewards are worth it.I'm waiting on a couple of bows to cure here too myself.A maple and a dogwood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2013, 09:30:03 pm »
I don't think it's the greatest idea to bend the bow and then  go back and reverse brace and add more sinew. You're telling the stave one thing as far as neutral plane location and then changing it.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
LOVE this build along.  THANKS for sharing.  I've never sinew backed a bow but have been wanting to.   What are your thoughts about the tite bond hide glue?  I've heard it wasn't good for backing bows??? ???   I have seen another build along online and the guy used the same stuff.  Seemed to turn out ok for him.  I really hope it works.  Looks like an awesome bow.   

From what I have heard and can see for myself it works all the same.

I see.Rewetting the back with more courses after tillering to 25" then reversing it will accomplish the same thing.No matter what order it's done.That sinew is some easily manipulated wonderful working stuff.It's kind of a long haul but the rewards are worth it.I'm waiting on a couple of bows to cure here too myself.A maple and a dogwood.

When the Koreans make the horn bows they reverse brace more per course they do.

I don't think it's the greatest idea to bend the bow and then  go back and reverse brace and add more sinew. You're telling the stave one thing as far as neutral plane location and then changing it.

Yes pat you are correct. Sorry I should have said 25" on the long string. It wount be enough to throw the stave for a loop. And even it was fully tillered adding the sinew would still change the neutral plane.
I dont see much difference.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 11:54:38 pm »
It depends if you want to try for optimal performance.  The idea of sinew backing seems to be to change the neutral plane all at once rather than stressing the belly and then  trying to get more wood working in compression after a section of wood has already been overstressed potentially.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:56 pm »
I agree. That's why I'm not gonna over stress the stave.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 12:00:08 am »
Hey Bryce been working 7 days a week and dont have much time to get on the net but I plan on checking up on this build  ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2013, 02:20:34 am »
Probably means you dot have time to build bows either.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:00 am »
Alright since it's 19 degrees outside and in the shop, I decided to move the operation inside for these 2 courses.
Ok I cut 2 blocks 2" high and reverse braced the stave with a clamp.

These bundles are a bit larger than before so they can cover the width of the stave.

All done for now

For the next 3-4 weeks I will continue to fill in any gaps and imperfections.

Another note, I can not say enough good things about this titebond hide glue:)

See yah in month :D
-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:11 am »
That'll be a dandy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »
Looking great Bryce. Glad to see you showing efforts to keep the sinew strands laid  on striaght.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2013, 12:48:45 pm »
That some fine work your doing there Bryce. I'm following along and learning a lot, well done build along man. Never done a sinew backed bow, thats if you don't count the one blotched and pathetic attempt on a piece of osage thats now just been resting in my
hotbox for 2 1/2 years. I have plenty of sinew around and maybe I'll learn enough here to do it right next time. Thanks for posting
this.
Greg

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Nice work so far, Bryce.  I'm looking forward to the final tillering!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:18 pm »
Looking great Bryce. Glad to see you showing efforts to keep the sinew strands laid  on striaght.

I second that. Im one of those wierd-o's that believes sinew works better if its all tyed together in a smooth matrix as opposed to a lumpy, gappy mess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.