Author Topic: Cornus mas , light bow...  (Read 4012 times)

Offline akila

Cornus mas , light bow...
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:53:28 pm »
Hello everyone...its been a long time since i made a bow, and this days, i said to my self that its time to make a bow...:)...i had this  piece of cornus mas, sitting on my corner for  some time, and i said to give it a try...this piece of wood, wass  realy tricky, and to be honest, i didnt think  that i could make a bow out of it...it wass not straight at all... the ends wass straight, but in the middle it was in the shape of an U....so first, i tried to straighten the wood, using the heat gun...finaly the wood wass pretty straight, thenn i started to tiller the bow....it wass not easey...in the midle the bow wass deflex, and at one end, wass reflex, and the other end wass straight...so, it wass a little dificult to tiller this litle bow...also 2 knots had me worried a little ....i didnt think it will survive at full draw, but in the end it wass all ok.
 The bow is 61 inches long,   and its 31lbs @ 28"...its kind of a practice bow i quess,,, it wass just an exercise for me, after a long breack...i didnt want to ruin a good stave, and i said to give it a try to this piece that i had in my shop...i didnt want to  use it for making barbeque...specialy coz its cornus mas wood, wich is preatty dificult to find...:)...here are the pictures...i forgot..for the finish i use linseed oil...

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:57:27 pm by akila »

Offline Weylin

Re: Cornus mas , light bow...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:49:09 pm »
I'm worried about your tips. It is not a good idea to violate the back of the bow when you do self nocks. The string can eventually split the wood and ruin your bow and possibly hurt you. My advice would be to put on some tip overlays to protect it. You can cut into tip overlays in the manner that you did without risking the integrity of the bow. Here's an example of an ebony wood tip overlay. They're not too difficult to do.

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »
Thks for your advice ...its a light bow, and im sure i will  not have a problemm with that...i did that kind of self noks, on 62lbs bow, and  it wass just fine...i usuly put overlays on my bows, but this time  i choose not to put any overlays..:)...thks Scott...im happy to be here again...i realy missed making a bow...i hope i will be posting another one, verry soon...mullbery wood...:)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
Welcome back and nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »
Nice bow. I think I remember you from when you made a really nice hunnic - ish bow with static tips. That bow was wicked. I too think that cutting threw the back of the self nocks for lighter bows is just fine, I have did that many times, and only had one fail, which was a 60# or so bow, that I was grinding the nock into the ground (for some idiotic reason,  ;D). Although if I could get my hands on some ebony like Weylin, that wasn't dang near 50 bucks for a foot or 2 length, I would be doing overlays on every one of my bows,  :). I plan on ordering some thin horn plates from ebay sometime soon, (the kind that are sold to do nock inserts) and was thinking of layering em for overlays? I think that might work pretty well, and be alot more economical than ordering 30 dollar 1" horn squares from 3 rivers.

EDIT: Although I don't know if you know this, there is pretty distinguished hinge in the upper limb, please forgive me if this was intentional or you were already aware of it though. Nice bow regardless.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:05:15 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:09:59 am »
The upper limb is working moore  specialy in the handle area, but its not realy a hinge there....the belly has a litle darker colore there,  from the heat gun, and its kind of optic ilusion ....the background is not quite the perfect mach for making photo ....the colore of the wood maches the colore of the door behind me, so it apears to be a hinge in the handle area...its working indeen a little moore there, but its not a hine.. :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 05:33:13 am »
Toomany - that area is just where the deflex is on the bow. Look at the unbraced picture.
I hear what you are saying abouit the nocks and it being a light bow...but it's still not a good idea!! ;)