Author Topic: Bamboo backing question  (Read 1860 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Bamboo backing question
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:15 pm »
Hi there

I have just received a bamboo slat and stick of Ipe,  I have put in the usual research time and have come out with a couple questions, or just a little advice.

1. Is my belt sander my best option for flattening the bamboo, i have the usual hand tools, the aforementioned belt sander, and my bandsaw.

2. Is it completely necessary to build a jig-a-mijig or can i just draw lines and carefully taper the thing.

3. I only have TB3 for glue, is that a huge issue or do i need to invest in some smooth-on?

4. Is "as thin as i can get it" too thin? i read 1/8 near the center and 1/16 near the tips.

5. I noticed some heat treat the bamboo, and some do not.  If TB3 is my glue, I dont need to heat treat? I am not intending to do anything crazy in terms of stress,

the design I was hoping to go for is 64" TTT 63" NtN bendy handle.....well my Ipe slat is just short of 1 1/4" wide throughout so it will be relatively stacked and look very English (welsh?) Longbow-ish

6. Any thickness taper input for the bamboo/finished bow would be greatly appreciated as i have never worked Ipe before.  also what tools are recommended for working the Ipe belly.

geez,  there were more questions than i thought there would be :) I sure you guys have something for me  :P
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Re: Bamboo backing question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:02:06 am »
I did a bendy handle BBI a while back I roughed mine out 1" wide and 3/4" thick in the middle and tapered it to 1/2" wide and 7/16" thick. It was 1/2" thick in the center and 5/16" thick at the tips when finished. 64" TtT 53# @ 28"

I cut a lot of the back of the bamboo off with my bandsaw and then used my belt sander to make it very thin, it was about 1/8" in the middle and only 1/16 at the tips. I believe you only heat treat if it is going on the belly. I used smooth-on but I've heard people have great success with TB. If you use TB make SURE everything meets up perfectly and the surfaces are nice and smooth. Smooth-on will fill gaps and actually needs a rough surface to make the best bond, I used a hacksaw to "tooth" the surfaces before gluing.

Here are a couple of pics of mine.

This was the thread over on TG http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=008943#000000
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:54:42 am by Cardboard_Duck »
>>>---------->

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:07:20 am »
1 1/4" wide is just about right, i've got a bbe 63"ntn, at 29" draw and a stiff handle, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:32:01 am »
Thats great, thanks for the input fellas.  I am going to go take a crack at flattening the Boo with hand tools while it is still thick, if it goes well i shall thin it out.  If not, I will get on the belt sander :) doesnt seem like there will be very much wood in this bow, compared to the white woods i have been working lately.

I will be adding a couple inches of reflex as well.

Happy Holidays!

NNB
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:13:03 am »
When preparing bamboo backing I start by roughing out the taper with a bandsaw followed by a hand plane, then a scraper. When I have more or less the dimensions I want I then flatten it on a belt sander. It sounds complicated, but it actually goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it. A 1/8" to 1/16" taper is good - that's what I use.
Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:33:50 am »
I find a thickness taper of about 1.5mm every 6" works for ELBs. I often rough out to abot 2mm every 6", but usually ends up being the 1.5mm
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.