Author Topic: In Need of 2 staves...anyone got anything?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline WoodMunkey157

In Need of 2 staves...anyone got anything?
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:24 pm »
Just hit x-mas break in school and was looking forward to making some sweet shooters...come to find out my buddy and I are fresh outve seasoned black walnut we cut last spring. Looking for two staves to work for the next month. Osage would be awesome, any others would be accpetable. Let me know what you have and Ill PM back if interested, thanks!

Offline WoodMunkey157

Re: In Need of 2 staves...anyone got anything?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
Forgot to mention I am heading to cut, debark, and seal a bunch of hackberry and anglojap yew. They will be un-seasoned but will be trade-able! :D

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:20:59 am »
What is anglojap yew? Any chance on some specs and or pics?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:15:41 am »
Here is a little info...
Anglojap Yew-Taxus x media- or perhaps Anglojap Hicksii
These pieces are about 60" in length which are a little short for a traditional long bow but would make excellent shorties or smaller longbows. Also I have some longer pieces and some which would be great for billets. The bark has some cool green and red scales to it which I guess is trademark of the yew family. It was incredibly tough wood to split, but I think there will be some shooters in this batch :o

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »
I see the dark heart wood on the one stave, but the other looks all white? Or am I not looking at that one right? What would you look for in trade for both the pieces of yew? I have some osage. What specs are you looking for?

Ok, I gather the all white one is hackberry. You said you have some billets. I think I would be most interested in those. I need to be able to make 2 elb long bows with no character, 70 inches long. Have you any billets that can do that?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:54:51 pm by sleek »

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »
Both of the staves in the picture are yew. The close ups are of the back and the front of the wood. It may be the lighting that is making it difficult to see the heartwood on the belly of the stave. I actually havent cut any hackberry as of now, but these two pieces would easily make two very nice 60" yew elb or you could splice or sleeve together the two of them to make a longer bow. I havent cut anything into billets but have yew that would make very good billets, if you need other pictures of more yew peices I gathered I can post them, these were just two fine examples of the wood I have. all the yew I have is green wood and was just cut a few days ago.

I am looking for two osage staves 60" in length, seasoned and ready to work on. How long has your osage been seasoning? can I see some pics?

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »
You may also be having a hard time seeing the heartwood because some of the pics are with the ends sealed...

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:34 pm »
Let me dig through my stash and see what I got, get some pics, and I will post them.

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:37 am »
woohoo!! Thanks :D straight and little character would be best, i need to help my buddy get his first shooter already.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:32:07 am »
Well, if 62-64 inches is long enough and 1.5-2 inches wide enough is good for you then we may be able to make a deal. All are pipe straight, very little character. I believe they were cut 6 months ago. Due to their size, I am certain they are dry enough to make a good bow of. They are debarked with sapwood on. only one has a check, but it can be worked around on the bow profile. I hope to be able to get some pics up tomorrow, but if not, the day after for sure.

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:29 pm »
those sound like they will do the trick very well. Don't worry about the pics. Lets exchange adresses via personal message and get the wood sent out if that is agreeable. I think priority UPS shipping would be the best route, around 15-20$ probably. I'd love to get to work on the the wood ASAP, lets see if we can send em out today or tomorrow. PM-ing you now.