Author Topic: possible to forge a blade on a wood fire?  (Read 11266 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

possible to forge a blade on a wood fire?
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
i was wondering if its possible to forge a blade in a wood fire and harden it as well? ive been making a few knives by stock removal and hardening with a torch and a makeshift forge. but i really wanna forge my own blade and do by the most primitive means possible.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: possible to forge a blade on a wood fire?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »
With a regular wood fire you won't be able to get the steel hot enough, probably no more than 900 degrees.  you can use the wood to make charcaol if lack of coal is the problem.  That and a good air source would get your temp up to 1500 degrees or a higher.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »
thanks madcrow never even thought of that eventhough it makes perfect sense lol. think i may get started on that tomorrow it its nice. the idea has me excited and wishing i could start work on it now.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
out where i am at ( WA State) you can buy mesquite carcoal . I have seen this used for blacksmithing at primitive skills festivals. It comes in a bag like charcoal brickettes (briquettes?), but it is not a pressed brick, but actual mesquite branches. lazzari is the brand name i think. it's kinda sparky, but it's really hot
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »
yea ive thought of buying charcoal but i wanna do things as primitive as i can without having to really buy anything.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:44 pm »
If you have a good sized piece of sheet metal and some old cinder blocks laying around, you can dig a fire pit and put a row of blocks around it.  Leave an opening to stoke the fire.  build a fire in the pit and lay the metal on top.  I guess an older model (70's or so) car hood would work.  Anyway, get the fire going good, and throw a bunch of dead limbs, twigs and wood on top of the metal.  As it heats the woods will turn black.  You can break it apart and check, but when it is burned all the way thru, it is home made charcoal and will work in a forge, but you will need a bunch of it.  The purpose of the metal is to allow the wood to char, but no burn up to ashes.  If you don't have a squirrel cage fan for the forge, there are several plans on the net for homemade bellows.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »
Thanks again for the info madcrow sounds pretty simple

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:09:44 am »
Just messing around once, I got a railroad spike glowing bright orange in a campfire.  It was going for a while though and had a good amount of coals going, I was using a piece of cardboard to fan the fire while the spike was in there.  Get you a good fire going and try it out and let us know how it goes.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »
I annealed a blade blank once on kingsford charcoal once. It took a 18lb bag and used my shopvac for air. It worked. But it only lasted about 20 minutes. To forge something you are gonna need a pile. It sounds like a great project alot of work but cool. Good luck on your venture. Keep us posted maybe a forgealong. We'll all learn something
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »
I annealed a blade blank once on kingsford charcoal once. It took a 18lb bag and used my shopvac for air. It worked. But it only lasted about 20 minutes. To forge something you are gonna need a pile. It sounds like a great project alot of work but cool. Good luck on your venture. Keep us posted maybe a forgealong. We'll all learn something
Thanks Leroy
how did you have it set up, because i have made a 5lb bag last for over an hour of forging before i ran out
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
how did you have it set up, because i have made a 5lb bag last for over an hour of forging before i ran out
[/quote
Cut a five gallon pail in half pipe for air grate on top load charcoal. Hooked the air pipe to my shopvac 10 gal 6.25 hp for air supply. Air = heat. More is better ::). Charcoal on top of grate. Light get red turn on air 100mph wind. I agree not the most effecciant. But dang son we got heat. Building gas forge now. I figure natural gas comes outta ground it's primitive >:D Heck I'm in Alberta we supply all the way over to east coast of the US. Gotta be good stuff. Like to see a pic of your setup mine melted :o Always fun till somebody loses a eye.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »
Beehive mud kiln i built reached 1950 degrees.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:33 pm »
when my cabin burned down, the wood stove actually melted and warped quite a bit. windshield of the truck melted too.  so I would say yes, but you would probably need a big fire and enough wood to build a cabin >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline kid bow

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:37 pm »
use pinewood the resin it has will heat up to like 1200 degrees. add wood charcoal if you need the heat up more
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.