Author Topic: My Ambush Bow  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My Ambush Bow
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:54 am »
Nice work,beautiful Hickory stick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:19 am »
Hard to top that.  Great profiles, braced and drawn.  Sweet.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:21 am »
Gotta love that hickory.I do over here too.Super beautiful job on a hunt about anything anywhere you want bow.That should be a tough customer to beat at your contest.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:37 am »
Here s my constructive criticism in meeting all the requirements....

. "It must be capable of staying braced for hours on end, day after hard hunting day, and not lose perceptible cast. The arrow you shoot in the early morning should strike the same mark in the late afternoon at a hunting distance"

Id be concerned with the hickory losing cast after being strung all day multiple days in a row in a more humid climate in a pack hunting situation. I guarantee you that bow wood lose some more cast after that scenario and your unstrung profile wood go to just straight at the very best.

And my number two concern wood be is it a smooth pulling bow out to 28"? Your string angle suggests you are hitting a wall at 28",and a bow that had even flipped tips,bent thru the hsndle,or a R/D design wood be smoother and more forgiving on release than a just reflexed straight side profile with a stiff handle.

Other than that it is a good candidate for an ambush type hunting bow,and its well made for its wood type and design.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:25 am »
That depends on the quality of experienced judges out there......LOL.There's always room for improvement.......LOL.Leave it strung for 3 hours if you hav'nt yet,because 100 arrows in an hour easily done.Then take a look.Heat treating does slow absorbtion of moisture to a degree.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bhenders

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:23 am »
GO GREEN!

Oh, and nice bow...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:05 am »
Woo, only just looked at this.
Wow that is one pretty bow, love those pyramid(ish) bows.
Bet she's quick too.
Del
(No quite so sure about the hat >:D as I expect you've got real hair unlike some of us old 'uns)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:21 am »
I hear ya.Diddo on burning the hat.......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 12:07:20 pm »
Every now and then I see a tillering job that reminds me of the guy who was bar none at spot on tillering, the late DCM(David Mims). You nailed it on that bow, just like one of David's bows.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:07 pm »
That's a high compliment Eric! Mims definitely had the touch.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Patches

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »
You are a bowmaking machine! Beautiful bow.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline RyanY

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 08:18:42 pm »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. But the hat is staying!  ;D

blackhawk, Surprisingly enough the bow pulls less than 3# of draw weight in the last few inches. Also, even after a 200 arrow session over several hours it still had reflex after unbracing not to mention how quickly it goes back to over 2". With as thick a finish as I put on this one I doubt that humidity would have a dramatic effect on this bow. With so much reflex, even if it were to end up straight or with a little string follow the bow would probably still be around 50# draw seeing that the 55# is after shooting 100 arrows over the course of almost two hours. In a hunting scenario with so many less pulls/shots, I'm sure it would retain good strength. If we can find time to meet up I'll try to bring it along.

Eric Krewson, I greatly appreciate the comparison. David made some amazing bows.

blackhawk

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »
 Im sure u realize I'm being "nitpicky"...n they are only small personal concerns in the grand scheme of things,and possible small improvements that could make it a wee tad better IMHO. If the ambush bows were to be judged as to who's is best it would need a panel of experienced bowyer hunters actually being able to see and shoot the bows in person. We know pictures don't tell the whole story to a bow. Hope we can meet up..if ya need a ride ill pick ya up..no problemo...jus lemme know.   ;)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »
I think that your bow would stand up to the test just fine. Considering that most primitive people made their bows from white woods and lived off them and took them to war I think white woods have proven their potential over time. Even though some woods may do a little better and white woods may take some set or lose some cast I am sure that it at the end of the day would still be deadly.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »
blackhawk, I completely understand. When I saw the pics I was surprised that it wasn't stacking at the end of the draw. Any farther and I'm sure it would. And moisture is always a huge factor. I usually don't worry about having too much protection but for this one I made sure to put on a nice thick finish. I'll try and get to you soon about my plans in PA. I don't have to worry about work so we may stay longer.

paulsemp, Very true but I think the real challenge is to see if you can make a bow that is consistently excellent through time, conditions, and use.