Author Topic: Del's First BBY  (Read 9577 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Del's First BBY
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 02:16:45 pm »
that's a beauty Del, how does she perform, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:22:23 pm »
Oooh Del!  I'm am really loving this bow.  I got a funky piece of Yew that I might need to cut into billets and try this on.  Awesome work and gorgeous tiller.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »
Excellent! Love the compass tiller and the finish details. I bet its not the 20# pull it appears from your relaxed stance at full draw.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
CHRONO RESULT
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
that's a beauty Del, how does she perform, Bub
I'll shoot her through the chrono' later, but she feels pretty fast. Shot her at a 3D shoot on Sunday, changed to slightly heavier arrows half way through as I was getting a bit of jarring on my left elbow, see below for speed results for the two arrows

Just tested it 170fps with my 'standard' 100gn point 5/16 shaft
165fps  with the heavier 100gn 11/32 shaft arrows.

The 11/32 shoots smoother and doesn't snap the arrow when it hits the back stop still flexing... damn that's 2 I broke like that >:(.
@Shaun. Whoops, didn't say she's a bit over 50# :)
Del
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:06:34 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:34 pm »
Looks like you nailed it, Del.  I like how thin you got that bamboo out at the tips.  Oh yeah and the tiller looks perfect. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 03:36:51 pm »
Clean, clean, clean like all your bows Del. Nice combo as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 04:11:16 pm »
Looks like you nailed it, Del.  I like how thin you got that bamboo out at the tips.  Oh yeah and the tiller looks perfect.
Cheers, I was just tryin' follow advice 1/8 at the grip 1/16 at the tip courtesy of Roy.
Del

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 04:31:10 pm »
I adore your knot fillings!
Don't shoot!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:39 pm »
Thats some fine surgery right there putting those inlays in like that. I am sure I would end up cutting too much and having to make about ten arrow passes just to get the shape right. Do you think getting both surfaces of the arrow pass and part of the bow where the arrow pass will be glued on nice and flat, and just gluing it on, and then feathering out the ends with sand paper would work? Or maybe feather the ends of the arrow pass before gluing? I guess the arrow pass would have to be pretty thin to avoid taking a bunch of width off the bow. That has always been my plan, but I have never tried anything like that. I honestly don't know if I could ever have the patience to do an inlay like that, those are something else, very nice as always.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:35 pm »
Great job Del! Impressive glue line!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 06:35:36 pm »
Thats some fine surgery right there putting those inlays in like that. I am sure I would end up cutting too much and having to make about ten arrow passes just to get the shape right. Do you think getting both surfaces of the arrow pass and part of the bow where the arrow pass will be glued on nice and flat, and just gluing it on, and then feathering out the ends with sand paper would work? Or maybe feather the ends of the arrow pass before gluing? I guess the arrow pass would have to be pretty thin to avoid taking a bunch of width off the bow. That has always been my plan, but I have never tried anything like that. I honestly don't know if I could ever have the patience to do an inlay like that, those are something else, very nice as always.
I've seen arrow passes done various ways, sometimes they are just a very thin overlay or a flat inlay. I like to have plenty of thickness so it can be rounded once it's glued in. I shoot some arrows before I do the pass and note where they chaffe on the bow. I have done 'em too thin such that when rounded off I went right through and down to the glue >:( , that's why I took the trouble to find some 3mm thick mother of pearl. Ofcourse waterbuffalo horn is easy as it's thick as you like.
Del

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
That's a beauty of a bow Del. I enjoy looking at all the bias you post. An elb is on my short list and I have a nice piece of pacific yew here that is in trouble once I get a respirator cuz that stuff hurts me. :o
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »
Beautiful and graceful bow Del, love the way a well made elb looks drawn. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 10:53:06 pm »
Very nice bow Del. I'm curious--it looks like the grain pattern in your plug follows exactly the pattern in the limb??
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 11:36:49 pm »
If ever I hit the lottery, Del, I am heading to Oregon to harvest a shipping container load of yew to send you.  Then when it has all cured a bit and arrived on your lovely little island, I am flying over to become your adoring and worshipful apprentice.  I promise to be up an hour before you so I can get the shop warmed up and your tea brewed to your exact specifications.  At the end of the day I will stay late to sweep up, put everything in order, sharpen and oil all your tools.  Heck, I will sleep on a pile of shavings in the corner with a burlap bag for a blanket.  I will hide in the closet if friends drop by, in order to save your reputation.  All this in hopes that some day I will learn enough from you that maybe I have a chance of turning out an ELB half as good as your stuff.   

But I don't want you to think I'm sucking up to you or nothing.   :-\
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.