Author Topic: Teachers, schools and students  (Read 5382 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Teachers, schools and students
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
I am at school right now because I have been fighting a stomach bug this weekend and am leaving lessons for a substitute.  I couldn't help, but feel a sense of apprehension as I drove up to the school.  I then walked into the building and then my classroom.  Wish you all could see my classroom, but it is like thousands of other classrooms in the US.  Colorful, filled with books and learning materials.  I taught first grade and this is my first year as a kindergarten teacher.  My students:  13 girls and 6 boys are bundles of joy, smiles and love.  They are babies.  Innocent sweet babies eager to learn each and every day. 

No one had spoken on this and felt it needed to be said.  There is nothing more precious than a child and nothing more horrific when harm purposely injures a child.  Let alone many children.  Then you have the sweet caretakers that have valiantly fallen protecting their students. 

I just don't get it.  I really don't.  I do not even know how to speak to my own children about this.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Teachers, schools and students
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:21:54 am »
Everyones hearts are heavy, Cipriano. There is no explanation for such a horrific act. I hadn't thought about you this week but I should have. As a kindergarden teacher I can't imagine what you are going through. You and all teachers have my respect and admiration and now my sympathy. We all have heavy hearts!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:07:18 am »
Cipriano,
I share your apprehension, my daughter is in kindergarten.  Ill be taking her to school in about 8 hours after I get off of work in the morning and I have my reservations about it but I know we can't live in fear.  I pray that this does not happen again.  Let me ask you this though.  Is there any kind of active shooter training set up for the school staff?  Are there drills of what to do in case of such an event?  I personally believe that school staff should be able to be armed if they so choose.  I mean you guys already have to go through background checks and mental evals out the wazoo, so it stands to reason that you would have the mental capacity to carry a concealed fire arm.  Im not saying that teachers should take the place of first responders but instead, batten down the hatches and anyone other than law enforcement that comes through your classroom door gets what they have coming.  I have looked at my daughters school from a tactical point of view and it scares the HELL out of me.  Doors unlocked, no one near the front door to greet anyone that walks in.  I mean this really scares me!!  Well I will get off of my soap box.  Please know that you and all educators as well as your students are in my prayers for protection.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:47 am »
Well, Im sittin here at work surfin the ole facebook and look what article I run across.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404721,00.html 
To the moderators, if this is an un-authorized link, please disable it.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:00 am »
Cipriano, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 01:55:04 am »
Pat you are right.  It's heavy for us all.

Jimbob, I totally understand. I have a feeling to keep my three young ones home tomorrow, but I know that only gives in to fear. My fear not there fear. That's an interesting article.

I think it's important for us to vent and share BUT let's all please remember to keep politics out of it.. I would encourage you all to let your children's teachers know how much you appreciate them. I don't even do that enough and we are both teachers..

Jimbob we have lockdown drills and a lot of safety procedures. Locked doors seperate our classrooms from the office and all visitors. Visitors have to check into the office, they get a visitor pass printed and then they may walk down to the classroom the want to visit.

Fred thank you. Much appreciated.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:27 am »
Sorry if I got a little on the political side.  That wasn't my intention, just offering a possible solution to a growing problem. 

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:02 am »
Jimbob, no you didn't. That's a valid point and an example of a school that won't allow anyone to come on their campus and cause harm with out meeting some well armed resistance..

Honestly my wife brought that up earlier today when she asked me the "what if...." question since both of us are on the same campus. At that point she asked why school staff isn't protected.

The only thing I can think of is that way back a few hundred years ago the idea of armed folks on a learning institution seemed absolutely absurd.. Why would you need or want that? That's my thinking and my opinion.. But it's not the same environment as when Washington and Adams and Jefferson set up the framework for this great nation..

I was making that statement before it needed to be made  ;)

Cipriano

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:51:44 am »
Now that I think back on it, our school district had its own police force.  There were always at least 2 armed officers at the high school and usually 1 at each elementry school and middle school and then they were supplemented by the constables.  Although I'm not sure if it was for the reasons we are discussing now or the fact that there was at one time a bit of a gang problem from the middle school on up through the 12th grade, but when their presence was known it felt like a safe atmosphere so I guess it worked.

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:57 am »
I am absolutely without words over this.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:05 am »
I feel sick when I read news stories about this. My guts turn to water. What kind of person could shoot kids? I truly don't understand.
I'm not looking to start a debate on guns, but is arming teachers the answer? Killing someone is easy... it's living with it that's hard.
I'm a multiple gun owner (including a handgun) and hunter. In Canada, we have some stricter gun laws. Owning a gun in Canada is a privilege... not a right. A privilege you need to earn through education. You can own handguns, but target shooting only. No open carry. No hunting with handguns. No assault weapons. Some of the laws we've implemented have failed (like the gun registry), but what's the answer? We've had our share of mentally ill individuals who've gone on killing sprees, but not to the extent you guys have. I think you guys need to get a handle on this soon, or it's going to happen again. I pray you find a solution before more innocent lives are lost.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:44:53 am by adb »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
When I was in elementry school our "disaster" training for the schools was when we heard the alarm we stood up and in single file we all walked quietly out of the school to the railroad tracks a few blocks away. We weren't threatened by gunmen but the threat of nuclear attack from the Soviet Union. The Cuban missle crisis took place when I was 12 or so but for years we trained for the event. Thank goodness that day never came.
  Unfortunately each generation has and will have its threats and one is no more or less sinceless than the other and each is as scarry as the other.
  My heart goes out to the folks of Newtown, the kids and their parents, the teachers and teachers all over the country. Walking back into a classroom today would be a hard thing to do but we have to. We have to continue on with life but we should never forget such evil events that took place this past week and do what we can to see it doesn't ever happen again. Calm, thoughtful and positive conversations and actions are in order.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »
ADB is on the mark.  It will happen again.   I can't say I think about this situation everyday, if I did, I doubt I would carry on teaching very long.  Does it cross my mind, though?  Yup.  Most kids are truly great but there will always be some that set off the spider senses.  Gotta do your best to treat them all the same without regard.  It's tough sometimes.

This incident is so creepy though because you don't know who the perpetrator could be.  Safety is just an illusion.

I work about a half mile from the courthouse.  A few weeks back there was a nutcase with a fake pistol behind a convenience store.  The cops shot him down dead, I think seven shots.

They train everyone for code red drills.  Perhaps a lock boxed tazer next to the door?  I don't know.  There is no good answer, it seems.
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »
Tragic and unnecessary loss of innocent lives :'(q. As a teacher, we practice lock down drills often, and yet there is never a guarantee of safety. Sounds like Sandy Hook followed protocol, with locked doors and students out of sight.The principal and other teachers did exactly what other teachers would do to protect their students if faced with this situation. I'm more concerned with the profile o f the individuals that carry out such a horrific act on innocent people. Restrictions might reduce the occurrence due to firearms, but this type of person will find another means to carry out their plan such as vehicles, knives, or crude bombs. Why target innocent children? My prayers go out to all the people that lost a loved one in Newtown Friday.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 12:22:48 am »
I think many of us held back posting on this because of the shakey holds we have on our own reactions at this point.  I know I avoid talking about it much with friends because I'm afraid of just how it may all spill out. 

Recently I read an article online by a consultant that "hardens" schools by teaching the opposite of what is currently in style.  While he agrees with lockdown, he also teaches classrooms and teachers how to switch from defensive modes to offensive modes.  Throw books, desks, pull down the flag and charge the shooter with it like a lance. Do anything, but don't be content with being a crouching sheep target.  The sooner the shooter is stopped the fewer victims there will be.  Nobody would volunteer their child to be the one to try tackling armed shooters, duh!  But how would you feel at the mass funeral knowing that many of the lives could have been saved?

People with differering opinions point to how the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania during 9/11 saved no one on board.  They say the "Let's Roll!" philosophy failed.  They forget the thousands of people that the hijackers had in their crosshairs.  I would like to think I'd eat a belly full of lead for a chance to go down fighting, especially if it means someone else can grab the bad guy from behind and gouge out his eyes, sink teeth into his throat, snap kick his knee, stick a knitting needle in his crotch...and maybe save one innocent life.

God bless that principal that gave everything down to the last and final measure.  God take them all into His arms and rest their souls.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.