Author Topic: Yew harvesting question.  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Adam

Yew harvesting question.
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
One of the areas I hunt has the foundation of an old ruined farmhouse with an about 20 foot tall yew bush.  There are areas where the wood is up to about 3 inches thick and only has some small twigs (half the diameter of a pencil) for about 6 1/2 feet.  It is under two  50' white pines, so it's fairly well shaded.  I've never used yew before, but all these recent posts have made me jealous.  Should I try to use it, or just let it keep growing?  I unfortunately don't have any pictures and it's a bit of a drive to get there.  Thanks.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Yew harvesting question.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:38 pm »
If its growing like a bush it probably has a low ring count. But even still if there's a stave in there it's worth it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »
It's growing like a bush with 7 or 8 tall shoots. Only 2 are more than an inch in diameter. If it were another wood, I'd probably pass on it but here in Ohio we're not exactly blessed with an abundance of yew.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »
Whether or not to harvest a yew tree is always a tricky situation. Other may have different views.  Personally, I really try to weight the justification for harvesting any tree, but especially a yew tree, because of how slow they grow and because (at least in my area) of other pressure on Yew (specifically harvesting it to produce Taxol which is a cancer fighting drug).

It seems like you are talking about ornamental trees, as there Yew aren't native Ohio, and the trees were planted around an old building. Cutting an ornamental tree is always different than cutting a wild tree. Usually its not such a big deal unless they are historical. You gotta use your own judgement and 'feel' if its the right thing to do. Sometimes ornamental Yew is Irish yew, which tends to have a lot of pin knots, and might not be as good of bow wood as Pacific Yew.

I was up at 3000 ft in the Trinity alps this summer, and I got permission from a land owner to harvest some yew.  Dude had lover 100 trees growing in along a beautiful creek on his property, some where pipe straight. But the two I harvested were in ones that I thought weren't as healthy or had some damage.  I hope that grove of yew stays around for my grandchildren and they can harvest a stave or two in their lifetimes.

Not trying to rant or tell you what to do, and it might be a good idea to harvest the trees.  I'm just been thinking a lot about Yew trees recently and hoping a healthy population will be around for years to come.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:44 pm »
I plant a lot of yew gave so your kids have something to make bows from besides plum ;)

If its just an ornament and non native I say cut it to the ground.
If its Irish yew. Cut it down and leave it bc it's worthless
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:40 pm »
Bottom line is you can't tell until you cut it... see this post.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/variability-of-yew.html
Some churchyae=ard Yew that's almost all heart wood , and a big log that look like it should be perfect with tons of sapwood.
Similar altitude, climate and situation... it's a lottery., but almost any yew is better than none.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:48 pm »
I agree with you del. your a smart cat :)

The reason I suspect a low ring count is bc of all the branches. Yew with sprout branches in areas with sunlight. If its like a bush probably had a lot of sun and good growing conditions.

Low yew is better than no yew, is RIGHT!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:24:37 am »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. 

Rossfactor - I think I know where you're coming from.  Yew is precious (sorry, Hobbit on the brain) and I think making it into a bow is doing it justice, but if it isn't ready yet, I'd rather leave it where it is and let someone else do that in the future.  I do feel better since I'm 99% sure it was planted due to its location.

Bryce - I really like the idea of planting one when I cut one.  It makes me feel more like I'm borrowing than taking.

Del - Thanks for the link.  I've enjoyed reading your site for awhile now and have learned a lot from it.  Cool car, by the way.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:41:54 am »
Iam totally against non-native species. If I saw an osage tree here in Oregon I would cut it down in a sec. Whether it would make a bow or not.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 12:54:32 am »
There are a couple in the Hoyt Arboretum... just sayin'... O:)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:10 am »
There are a couple in the Hoyt Arboretum... just sayin'... O:)

THERE GOIN DOWN!!!!!
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »
Glad I don't have to be a granola eating tree hugging hippy with where I live,and have to ask the stupid govt whether I can cut it or not. Jus saying....I say cut it down,your in Ohio,if you don't now,someone else will and leave it to rot or burn.

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:41 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  The next time I'm hunting there I'll bring part of it home with me.  I need to see what this yew hype is all about.  Hopefully my osage doesn't get jealous ;)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 04:34:54 pm »
Osage is already jealous
Clatskanie, Oregon