Author Topic: Fillin gout the grip  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Fillin gout the grip
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:19:15 am »
So I'm working on a new bow that has the 5 curve profile glued in as a triple laminate and kerf cut recurves.

I want to fill out the handle some but I want to go bendy handle I think.  This design is WAY underrated if you ask me.  Question is to finish it out nicely how should I do that"  I'm thinking I'll use cork but the wrapping and the arrow pass area.  I'm looking for ideas.

Offline dwardo

Re: Fillin gout the grip
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:45 am »
I stack off-cuts of 3mm leather on-top of each other and hold them in place with glue. Then I shape the sides for comfort.
Sometimes then wrap with a strong button thread and more glue. Then over the top with the leather grip.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
I stack off-cuts of 3mm leather on-top of each other and hold them in place with glue. Then I shape the sides for comfort.
Sometimes then wrap with a strong button thread and more glue. Then over the top with the leather grip.
+1 for that.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:05 pm »
If you soak the leather with thin super glue, you can work it like wood.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:51 am »
I have used rawhide, built up leather with and without superglue. When I use leather, I generally use the scrap leather I buy by the bag for 5 to 7 bucks. Unfortunately the tanning method for this type leather does not make it super glue friendly. That's when I started just building up layers of leather and sanding it to shape on the belt sander. I kinda like it better. It is not quite so hard making it grip better, at least for me.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:09 am »
This is how I "handle" the situation.  ;D  This was on a 2" diameter, bendy handle pole bow I built last year for the TG bow trade. I use precut shoe sole leather(about 1/4" thick), cut and sand it to shape, soak it in warm water to soften it then glue it with TBIII to the handle area. Once it is dry I grind to a basic shape on the belt sander and saturate it with super glue. More shaping can be done if necessary then sanding smooth and add a handle wrap. I do this for tip overlays too.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:33:35 am »
A rasp works well for this too...

Sorry I don't have a better pic of the finished handle

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:35:50 am »
I use bulbous handles and on most bows I fill out the back of the handle with this method too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »
TTT for those who may have missed this... ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 03:11:03 pm »
Pat, where do you get that thick shoe leather?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
Clint, any shoe repair shop(if there are still any  ::) ) will have them. If you have a saddle shop near you they will have heavy vegetable tanned "skirting" leather. I believe that is what these precut soles are made from. You can probably get scraps of the skirting leather for nothing or very little.