Author Topic: Yew war  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Shaun

Yew war
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
This bow is 73.3" NTN and 72# @ 30" which puts it on the light end of "war bow" category. Cow horn nocks. It has about 2" of set, mostly in the middle. Shoots these heavy arrows with authority. Yew harvested from an old nursery in Ohio a couple years ago.

I'm on the light end of war bow drawing ability and trying to get as much as I can of it here... arrow is 34" BOP

Offline bow101

Re: Yew war
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »
I'd like to build a war bow some time. Nice job and those tips really set it off.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:23:59 pm »
Nice!!!!! :D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
Very nice Shaun...  I'm em pressed with the bow but also with the fact you're pullin 72#s 30 inches :o    Ouch!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:27:04 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:17:53 pm »
You're a machine Shaun!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
I love that warbow arc.  Looks like you nailed it.  Another simple beauty Shaun. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »
Looks fricken sweet. I love the way 70# bows handle arrows. For me its hard to find a good piece of yew that's clear for 70-80". But we shall see !!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:55:01 am »
Beautiful bow,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:11:39 am »
Very nice, 70# is a good weight to get your technique honed on. (It's plenty for me these days)
Dunno, if you want any nit picking criticism? So sorry if I'm speaking out of turn :-[.
I know I don't like people criticising my tiller, but I've listened :o, tried it their way and then gone back to my old tried and trusted arc of a circle generally for ELBs :laugh:.
I'd say the upper limb looks a whisker stiff in the outer 1/2, maybe that's why you have a fair bit of set, the outer limbs don't look to be doing their full share of the work? I just held a CD up to the screen and the middle does seem to be working harder than the rest of the bow.
The set could just be the wood of course, Yew is pretty variable stuff.
I love the nock, not too fancy, got a nice medieval feel to it, I don't like 'em too fancy (not tried cow horn myself)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bambule

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:16 am »
nice work and it looks good overall.
I go with Del - the middle is working a little too much. The set in the middle is a good sign for that.
But a 70+# bow is easier to draw with a little set and 2" is not too much.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
Another nice one shaun...

Offline Shaun

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »
Thanks all for the nice comments. Del, you are correct that the tiller is a little off, too stiff at the last 3rd, but did not want to go further and loose weight. The static braced tiller is right on and the photo is a little angled which exaggerates the upper limb shape. I was pleased with the way it shoots. This piece of yew was from a 3 inch sapling and took two turns on the cull to get it straight enough for a bow. The weakness in the middle is partly from a grain swirl in that area - the rest of the bow is nice straight grain. Not the primo fine grained clear straight stuff we dream of but good enough to make a decent shooting bow. The muscles between my shoulder blades are just now starting to feel normal again. That shoulder roll extra couple of inches draw uses muscle range that standard anchor point never reaches.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 10:23:29 pm »
What a beast!!!!
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:24:29 am »
That's awesome man!  I can't wait to try one of these.  I've gotten the warbow bug recently but haven't had the chance to make one.  Love yours though!  I think I'm going to go the same route and make something that draws around 70# to train with.  Beautiful bow!
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:39:46 am »
Congrats....really nice.