Author Topic: tiller help  (Read 1599 times)

Offline bobbykelley

tiller help
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »
Could I get some advice on my tiller? It looks like I need to take some off from fade to mid on left limb.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Stefan

Re: tiller help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »
Indeed, it looks like you have a hinge on the left limb, straigthen it out first. There is a thread on this site that describes how to make a tiller gizmo/tool is suggest you make one they are very useful. It is also stiff at the fade on the right limb but first correct that hinge.
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
Since you have a pic, put it in a paint/editing program and use it to evaluate your tiller (draw ellipses, circles, etc).

hard to tell for sure about the overall tiller not knowing the profile/dimensions of your bow or an unbraced pic, I'm pretty sure you have a hinge on the left side and one developing on the right, both about 3/4 of the way out.

Don't touch the hinged areas, remove wood on both sides of them until it's all even.

Is that a glued on riser?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »
and yes both inner thirds are stiff.  Ditto on the tiller gizmo.

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »
Thank you guys. Sorry the bow is 68" t2t and that is a glued riser. Thanks for the advice on paint that helps a lot never thought of that.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
Hard to tell, but it looks like you don't have much of a transition from limb into fade.  Your riser is likely to pop off when you get the rest of that bow bending.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-\

To really evaluate tiller it would help to see an unbraced pic of front and side (or at least the side, and tell us what kind of front profile she has... parallel most of length, pyramid, etc).