Author Topic: Heat-bending mulberry  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
Heat-bending mulberry
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »
I'm making a cane for a friend, and I'm wanting to put a Uish-shaped bend in the thinnest part to make a handle.

I'm planning on boiling it, and bending it over a form, with the top banded down with a metal strip. The section is approximately 1.25 inches in diameter, and eight inches long, and mostly heartwood.

How long should I heat it? Should I attempt the bend in one go? Should I give this 'wood' thing up and go be a baker?

HELP!

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Heat-bending mulberry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »
I always steam bend mulberry. I have never bent anything near as thick as 1 1/4" before, so please lets us know how it goes. I will say that mulberry steam bends about as easy as hackberry for me. If it is pretty light stuff, it should survice I would guess, but don't quote me on that. I just read in a thread something like, for every 1/2" steam 45 minutes, or something like that. The important thing, whether steaming, or boiling, is just to get it as hot as you can. The hotter, the better.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »
having built about 45 SOF kayaks with steamed ribs, I figure that you'll need about an hour heating time. since you're doing a circular cross section start checking for plyabilty at about 35-40 minutes.

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:23:35 am »
Thanks for the help, folks. I'll take some pics and post them later.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:29:39 am »
Uh..a kayak rib is not the same as a 8" 1.25" diameter thick piece bending it into a U. Your gonna have a tough time making that bend if its seasoned wood,and you'll have to steam or boil much longer than 35-40 mins to make it. Your best chance is doing it immedieatley after the wood is cut and its still dripping wet green,then steaming or boiling for prob almost 2+ hours at least.

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:55 am »
I cut it back in August, so it's still a little green. But not fresh, that's for certain. I guess if it gives me too much trouble, I can go in my backyard and cut a green one.

It's for my buddies' birthday, which is the middle of January, so I still have time. Although, I may have to hotbox it afterwards to season it a little if I have to start over.

Thanks, Blackhawk.