Author Topic: Glues for primitive bows....So long Urac.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Glues for primitive bows....So long Urac.
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
Well I don't see my favorite glue in 3 rivers anymore.  Looks like it actualy is stopped in production like they said.

So I'm looking for a new glue.  Anyone have experience with DAAP weldwood resin?  Powder based urea femlaldohide glue. 

G-2? 

Looking to avoide the the super expensive stuff..  I LOVED Urac.  . .  . {snif}.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Glues for primitive bows....So long Urac.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »
I've used Weldwood Plastic Resin on a few bows with good results. It is very similar to Urac but way cheaper and mixes with water.
  The formula for Urac was sold and a new company is making it or at least something similar to Urac. I can't remember the name but if you contact Nelson Paint Co. I'm sure they will tell you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:18:51 pm »
Sweet!... I called the MFG company and it sounded like they missed an opportunity to make their mfg process more LEAN.  The mgr said they throw away alot of the stuff because it goes bad and they need to make big batches. 

I think since it's not being used as much in boat building anymore or possibly in comercial plywood they also lost some market share.  The formula sold for around $50K.  I was even looking on line to see if there was a way to make it in home.  then I came across the weldwood.  I'm going to give that a try first.

Then I'll try G-2.  Or Go back to the epoxy that Rudder bows sells.  That is good stuff and reasonable also but IMO it's a bit thinner than I like for gap filling.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:37 pm »
I have used Weldwood on a couple of bows to good effect.  Works the same as URAC, only a little runnier.  Mixes with water.  I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Russ

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
I tried the Weldwood plastic resin, the other day, and couldn't get it to mix very well. Later I read somewhere that you have to let it sit for about 20 min to mix completely. Has that been your experience?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline The Fly

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »
Since when did they start using synthetic glues on PRIMITIVE BOWS? I have heard of it being used on trad bows.Sounds like a wheelie discussion?  >:D

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »
The instructions on the package do not say anything about waiting for 20 minutes or the like.  That said, when mixed in the proportions stated on the package, the glue is a bit runny.  It does thicken up as it sits, but I find that if I apply the glue without rushing around (take my time), by the time I am done, it has thickened enough for me to go back over and apply a little more just before the clamps go on.

Long winded to say, yeah, a little sitting around will do your glue pot some good.     

Russ

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
 Seems like that's what it was, now that you mention it. Real runny. I was looking form something like syrup. The article I read said if you wait about 20 min. it will thicken up to about that consistency. Thanks, Russ!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Glues for primitive bows....So long Urac. (revisited)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:34:12 pm »
Hey - all you URAC 185 guys, there's a 'new' product being offered by Nelson to replace Urac.  They are calling it "Unibond 800".  It looks to be a re-formulation of the Urac product being made for them by a new supplier.  Have any of you tried it yet?  I just ordered my first quart yesterday.

OneBow

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »
I have a pint of the Unibond 800, I have only used it once so far, but it appeared identical to URAC 185.  The only difference I noticed is that the label on the can and the supplemental information for UniBond is of a higher quality. Good useful tables such as mixing ratios, shelf life, and drying times under various temps, right on the can. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
This topic was visited on another thread a while back. I contacted Nelson Paint and they said Unibond 800 was the replacement for URAC and it was every bit as strong and waterproof and we could use it with no worries.