Author Topic: Finishing Boo?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Finishing Boo?
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
Almost finished my Boo backed Oregon Yew Longbow.
The boo has a few black spots on it and is a bit dull, I'm not sure how to clean it up and how far to take the nodes down.
I want to leave 'em proud but they have an almost sharp edge.
I tried a cleaning a bit v lightly with 240 grade wet abd dry which helped. Does that sound OK? Danish oil to finish?
Pics when it's all done...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Finishing Boo?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
Sounds awesome.  I'll look forward to your pix...

BTW - I'd use Sweedish Oil over the Danish stuff, ...but I might be a bit biased on that one.   :laugh:

OneBow

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »
Knowing that some say not to sand the nodes,I sand them flush on 3 bows.thousands of arrow later no splinters!never stained them just tung oil.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »
I scrape up to the nodes then leave them be.  On one or two bows I've done a light sanding to soften the edgeand sand the rind out better but generaly I don't like to mess with the nodes.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »
I've never made a bamboo backed bow but I know in dean torges video on bbo's he take the nodes down a bit with a file and scrapes the rind with a cabinet scaper.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:56:39 am »
I've never made a bamboo backed bow but I know in dean torges video on bbo's he take the nodes down a bit with a file and scrapes the rind with a cabinet scaper.

Thats the way to do it.
Just take the sharp edges off with a second cut file. Then a sharp cabinet scraper for the rind. Then 240 or so to make perfect.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:20 am »
Cheers guys.
That's just what I needed :)
Del

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:03:27 am »
I would just remove the corky ridge at each node with a scraper being careful not to nick the boo. A light sanding with very fine sand paper will remove the rind enough to dye and finish.
  I used to scrape off the rind but had failures afterwards. I think, no matter how careful you are with a scraper you still get micro scrapes in the boo surface that could lead to splinters lifting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:52:15 am »
I would just remove the corky ridge at each node with a scraper being careful not to nick the boo. A light sanding with very fine sand paper will remove the rind enough to dye and finish.
  I used to scrape off the rind but had failures afterwards. I think, no matter how careful you are with a scraper you still get micro scrapes in the boo surface that could lead to splinters lifting.
Cheers,
Yeah, I have noticed where the scraper starts it's sweep I sometimes feel it dig in leaving a fine line (mostly when taking off fairly hefty scrapes with my scraper made from armour plating from a Churchill tank ;) )
I'll tread carefully.
Del