Author Topic: Shaving Horse vs wood vise  (Read 13745 times)

Offline PaulP

Re: Shaving Horse vs wood vise
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 11:28:38 pm »
Thanks for all in the information

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 03:45:30 pm »
I use the both for 2 different things. I use a shaving horse fpr what it is intended to be used for ....shaving. Meaning: nothing beats a shaving horse for chasing growth rings and really roughing in a bow. You can put allot of power into it and quickley get a bow to diminsion with a draw knife and a shaving horse. After the bow is roughed in and I am starting to lay out diminsions and rasping or draw knifing to lines I then move to a wood vise. Easier to do that kind of work standing up and working over the wood and easier to pull the bow out and look at it and such.

SJM

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 08:58:49 am »
Matt, I was just picking, but I'd be honored if you saw fit.  I wouldn't know (about the liking), as I've never got to use one yet. I used Mike's vise and my portable (clamping) work bench from Sears for my first bow (and the ones I finished). I guess if I learned on a horse that was offset, I'd like the offset head horse fine -  ;) Wouldn't ya think?  :D
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline PaulP

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 12:01:52 pm »
That brings up a Great Point; where does one find a Shaving Horse suitable for Bow Making?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 12:41:52 pm »
I use a large bench vise for rough work...removing the bark, chasing a ring and reducing belly wood and a shaving horse for the finer work like tillering. Both are useful but either will work for all aspects of bow work.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »
Paul, if you are handy there are plans apleanty for building them. I think in the archives here (and How to section archivess of other forums as well). Also magazines have had sets of plans in them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:55:35 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline PaulP

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 08:53:43 am »
I appreciate all the advise.  Thanks,

Paul