Author Topic: how to make bamboo backing material from freshly cut bamboo???  (Read 1587 times)

Offline mnviking

how to make bamboo backing material from freshly cut bamboo???
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »
Hi gents

I cut some bamboo today and would like to know how to make backing material out of it.  It is about three inch in diameter.  I have watched some videos on using a propane torch to start the drying process.  will this sufficiently dry the bamboo to use it as a backing material??  any helpful tips on how to make this into backing material??  how thick should the backing material be??

yep I have never done it and I am pretty ignorant but help would be appreciated.
thanks

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: how to make bamboo backing material from freshly cut bamboo???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:29 am »
Plenty of info under the 'search' option. Especially this topic has all the information you're looking for :) Also read this one.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline mnviking

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
ok thanks i will try that

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »
Just a side note, a couple of bamboo supply houses sell bamboo splitters that will split it into 4, 6 or 8 pieces . Basically a ring with blades at 90 degrees and handles on the outside. You can rap on the handles with a mallet to assist you if need be.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »
3" is a little too small for backing.

Offline mnviking

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »
yep three inches was too small to make backing.  only got a piece about 1 inch across when i worked it down to 1/8 inch.  drying the bamboo out with a propane torch worked great.  must say that this is a lot of work and you really do need a piece of bamboo about 5 inch in diameter to even start.  so for the effort I guess buying some backing is the way to go unless you are making a lot of backing and have the large bamboo

thanks everyone for the input