Author Topic: Burn Out?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline seabass

Re: Burn Out?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:00 am »
i wish i was closer to you.i need all the help i can get.getting a grizzly 14" bandsaw this week.i was burned out drawknifing all of my fat staves by hand.i got burned out real quick and didn't want to work on any.maybe with the saw it will ignite the fire in me again.don't worry,i am sure you will get the fever again.it is in your blood.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:24 am »
I hear ya,I try not to let that happen by just move from one project to another,Arrows/trade points for a while,then a knife or 2, then on to some hide tanning and then back to bows, with some hunting in between, I use to hunt hard every day of the season,it turned into a job,Now I hunt only when I really want to. Never stay at any one thing to long. :) A few friends around does help to keep you motivated ,but I seem to do most of my bow work, at least on my own stuff when I am by myself. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 02:27:49 pm »
Build a type of bow you never have. Maybe it will challenge you and change your mood. A true static recurve usually pulls me out of my funks. Its easy to get complacent on straight bows of any length after 4-5 dozen of them. Make yourself a 58" sinew backed static recurve and see what happens.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
I took 8 years off from archery. Got real into decorative iron work, knives, furniture, fishing, fly tying, backpacking, canoeing and probably 100 other things. I just always needed a project and I am always looking for a challenge. Now I have A REAL CHALLENGE, 2 daughters 2 1/2 and 6 months. The only free time I have to myself is playing with wood in my garage and that helps me keep my sanity.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
Thank you all.  It is heartening to see that what I'm going through is not unique to me.  And paulsemp, the problem for me is that I'm just the opposite.  I have lots of time now to pursue building bows.  Our kids are grown and moved far away so it's just the wife and I here.  I built this big shop for bow building and have amassed all the tools I need.   Right now there's enough osage stacked in my yard and on my wood racks to last the rest of my life.  My wife is a serious quilter and cuts me tons of slack when I get to building a bow or knapping.  Nothing stands in the way of my building any bow I want...except me.   But, I just don't have the drive like I used to.  And that's not just with primitive archery, it's with many areas in my life.  I suppose that's part of the aging process.  So that's why I posted, to see if it happens to others and whether it might come back.  And if I can sum up what I've read, it sounds like all of us have ebbs and flows in our pursuit of hobbies.  That's encouraging to me...to think that I can take a break and it'll be there when I get the itch again and I'm pretty sure I will.  So, I've bought a little R/C electric helicopter and am having a ton of fun flying around the living room.  I haven't flown an R/C plane for 20 years.  My wife is scared to death I'll start up that hobby again. ;D ;D

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:56 pm »
Maybe its time to get some of those little blue pills George  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:14 pm »
Clints on to something George!

If that doesnt work....try yew.....I guess its like marshmellows to work with....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 10:59:52 pm »
Maybe its time to get some of those little blue pills George  ;D

:o :o That's not the drive I was referring to... :o :o

If that doesnt work....try yew.....I guess its like marshmellows to work with....

I know Pearlie, I once turned a yew bow from a 50 pounder to a 30 pounder in 2 strokes of a draw knife.  That's one reason the beautifully straight piece I have has sat waiting for a year.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 11:35:19 pm »
Only built a few this year, but I totally understand. I also love bowhunting, use to have every gadget there was available.....then found primitive bows. I look for bow staves more than hunt half the time, and enjoy taking out a newby more than killing something myself. I think I get more of a adreniline rush from watching a newbie than killing myself these days. Bottom line EVERYTHING gets old at some point.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:39 am »
George,

I sure was glad to read this. I'm sorry that's going on, but it's a rut.. Burn out or whatever you call it.. I burned out on snake skinning/prepping skins this summer and I kept at it.. This summer it was no longer a hobby, but a means to pay for my deer lease. I ended up selling enough skins to pay for my lease, deer corn and such, but it came with a price.

It became work. It's a nasty nasty thing to skin so many snakes and I literally felt sick to my stomach and took a few days to recover each time i got back at it. Not to mention that I got in a bind owing folks rattler skins that I couldn't come up with. That really didn't help..

I know my comments haven't been about bow making, but that's what I do and I can certainly relate. I've asked myself several times, "what's wrong with me? I don't want to skin and prep snake skins? Will it ever go away?"

I hope so because nothing makes me happier than to see a snake skin Diego and I skinned and prepared her in Texas adorning a bow in a far away state.. Far far from this country we call Texas  ;D

Cipriano
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:14:35 am by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:37 am »
Maybe you could toss an ad in the local paper and see if you can get 4-6 folks together to give lessons to? You have a surplus of staves and nice shop. Its easier to talk about it than to pull a draw knife! You never know, teaching others may reignite the fire.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:05 am »
Teaching others always gets me going PD, that's a good idea. I think I'll do that. Thanks Cip and VMB, I so understand.

George
St Paul, TX