Author Topic: My best buck yet!!!  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Will H

My best buck yet!!!
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »
 I had been hunting all year with my self bows but for some reason had the desire to knock the dust off my old glass bow my father got me when I was 15. Its a called Ol Reliable and after 17 years of service it's really living up to it's name :) It all happened early saturday morning Nov 3 of this year. The rut was really starting to fire up and I had seen alot of activity already by 8:30 but suddenly a doe came off the ridge behind me with a nice 8 in tow. They went passed me at about 50yds and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the bucks attention with my aggressive grunts... Then a moment later the doe suddenly changed direction and started to circle back my direction. Unfortunately she picked me out of the tree and bolted, but to my surprise there was another buck that had emerged from the bottoms and caused her to turn my way. This buck was ready for a fight and wasn't shy about it :) he came in posturing to the other buck but apparently that buck was subbordent. He thrashed a sapling about 60yds in front of me then picked his head up and snort wheezed at the other buck. I imiedatley realized I might have a chance of calling him in and gave a couple grunts in his direction. He came straight for me with his ears pinned and hair bristled posturing the whole way. He came to a stop 6 steps from my stand just as I came to full draw and sent a rivercane arrow straight for his lungs. I watched as he ran off heading for the other buck about 50yds away. I thought he was going to run him over but to my astonishment when he got there he stopped and started wavering a little just before he dropped in his tracks!!   :o I nearly fell out of my stand in shock of all that had happened!!
Definatley my best buck yet! He field dressed at 145lbs, mainframe 8 with a split g2, killed with a 50# stotler longbow, rivercane arrow and a 200gr Ace broadhead

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

Re: My best buck yet!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
That's a great buck you got there Will.  Congratulations  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
Congrats will :)

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »
Beautiful buck!  Congratulations!

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »
Thank ya fellers!
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:39:58 pm »
Nice buck and nice shooting, Will. Ain't watching all that deer behavior fun?  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Smile says it all! Great job Will!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
Thanks again! Yes it is Pat! I've put alot of time in on stand this year like every year :) You just never know what you're gonna see! I live for it this time of year ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:19 pm »
Wheew hooo,, nice one, Will. I thought the one you got when I was there was Sweet, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »
Yea Hooo!!!!!!!! Congratulations Will that is a dandy. Great story. Felt like I was right there.

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:50:27 pm »
Nice buck, nice story! Way to go and make it happen. Love hearing the stories..

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:53:43 pm »
Great story! Thanks for sharing.  He's a lovely buck and I am jealous.

I wonder what that other buck is saying to his buddies tonite.  "Guys, do not p*** me off!  You know that phrase, 'if looks could kill'?  Yeah, well, anyone seen Eddie today?  I DROPPED HIM! Yeah, that's right, looked him dead in his tracks!  Then some guy gutted him and drug him off."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »
congrats Will,that is a dandy buck and a great story.thanks for sharing.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Will H

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
JW that's hilarious! And thanks to the rest of ya as well :)
Eddie, this is the same buck. I just haven't been able to post pics for a while. Finally just figured out how to do it with my phone since I'm not going to be getting a new computer any time soon. It's more trouble to do but it works ::)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 01:07:15 am »
Good job man!  I haven't seen an antler all season :'(  I can't wait to get my first with trad gear.  I'm really looking forward to seeing all you guys at the Classic this year.  As a newbie, I can just imagine what a guy could learn hanging out at Twin Oaks.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN