Author Topic: Question for FF users?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline lostarrow

Question for FF users?
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:21 pm »
 New to the world of Fast Flight,and wondering if I need to reinforce the nocks on the bow I am working on . It's a cherry board bow with rawhide backing . Deer rawhide applied with hide glue. I intend to shelac over the rawhide to waterproof, with a couple coats of wax over that. The hide is of a decent thickness(1/16"). With about 1/2" of meat beyond the shoulders of the nock.I just started to tiller (about to make the short string, Flemish with plaited loops both ends) but I should be able to get 50lbs out of it @ 28". Should I pad out the loops with a little B50? What are your thoughts? Also new to the Rawhide backing, so far so good. Went on very nicewith the hide glue,quick and easy with no air pockets . Has a real natural shine to it . Can see the grain of the wood through it too. Any experience with the rawhide would be appreciated as well.
Thanks ,Dave.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Question for FF users?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:12 pm »
Yep.  I reinforce mine with extra strands of FF, but I know others use B50.  Loop and the knot.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
I would suggest reinforcing the nocks with overlays. The harder the better :) that being said I've made plenty of Osage bows without tip overlays and put FF strings on them with no issues. But it's probably a good idea to go ahead and put overlays on softer woods IMHO
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:56 pm »
I do tip overlays as well. good protection and they look nice. Lately I've been using alot of ebony. I got a pile of cheap scraps from the woodworking store.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:57:23 pm »
I like horn, antler or bone. Harder the better and no split outs or wear. No matter the string material.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »
Thanks Guys. I was kind of thinking the rawhide might lift at the tips if subjected to to much stress from the string. I have lots of material to choose from for overlays ,so I think I will go that route.I'll post some pics if it survives ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:24:39 pm »
I use FF strings on 80% of the bows I make. All of those have a tip overlay of some sort.

Offline gianluca100

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:10:39 am »
For some years now I've been using FF (or similar stuff) on my selfbows exclusively. But I make skinny strings (eight strands of FF for a 50 pounder) and build up the loops and the nocking point with additional string material (mostly Dacron).
I almost never use overlays except on yew, guess I'm kinda lazy  :) My typical tips for a sixty pounder are about 7mm large and 10mm thick.
Never had any problems with the modern string material, on the contrary, arrows are faster, handshock even smaller and bows can be stung lower...

Ciao,
gian-luca