Author Topic: very strong glue  (Read 7098 times)

Offline kid bow

very strong glue
« on: December 08, 2012, 04:31:38 pm »
i need to know if anyone knows of a very strong glue i can use to glue components together for an experiment and it requires an extremely strong glue
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Weylin

Re: very strong glue
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:33:03 pm »
Hide glue is the strongest that I know of, it just isn't water resistant.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:35:42 pm »
it needs to be heavily glued and backed so im asking if anyone knows of a very strong glue

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »
Well, different kinds of glue are better suited to different kinds of jobs. what exactly are you trying to glue?

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »
splices on a handle

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »
Depends on what you are gluing.  Traditional hide glues are the strongest in the world.  Modern science hasn't been able to best it.  What it has done is make it more convienenty to store, make it water proof etc.  But those things come at a cost of strnegth.

Epoxies can be super strong.  Look into "G2 Epoxy"

I like URAC-185 but it isn't made any more.  I just glued up a bow with "Weldwood plastic wood filler" which seems comprable to Urac only less expensive and no shelf life.

Tight Bond 3 is hard to beat if the surfaces are well matched.

:o:P :-* :laugh:

Offline kid bow

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »
thank you

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
Where does this idea that traditional hide glue is the strongest come from? Hide glue IS very strong and versatile and it really is the best for sinew but there are plenty of stronger and even more versatile glues out there.
 You are probably going to have to go with what you can get. I would recommend DP 460 from 3M but you might not be able to get it and it is extremely expensive.
 The G2 is likely more readily available. T-88 from the same manufacturer is also outstanding.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »
I have used Urac, it is good glue, but messy as hell. I prefer 2-ton Devcon epoxy slow set (30 minute set)....the quick set is crap.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:39 am »
i thank you guys for the help on this. since 2 of my favorite bows broke im trying to splice components from each together. so like recurve tips and a handle riser

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:56:16 am »
I saw some tests done with Knoxx hide glue one time. The guy running the test mixed the glue up in a corning wear ceramic bowl. He didnt use all the glue and it set up in the bowl on him. When it did, as it dried it contracted and ripped chunks of cermaic up off the bottom of the bowl.  I was amazed to see the pictures and read his article.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:31 am »
Hide glue has the advantage of being water soluble so that the parts can be soaked in water and taken apart.  Other than that, hide glue does not have any advantages over epoxy's or other modern glues.

For the strongest bonding of wood with the most economical glue, use a slow set, 2-part epoxy and follow the directions to the letter.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 12:09:33 pm »
That perceived greater strength of hide glue when it pulls stuff apart is because of its ability to shrink, not so much because it has greater holding power in peel/shear etc.
 If you put two blobs of good Epoxy on a ceramic bowl and had something spanning them that could be tightened like a turnbuckle the epoxy would also pull the coating off the bowl as well.
 Good hide glue has an elastic property to it though, that is  likely unmatched by modern glues. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »
The mechanical design of the joint is as important as the glue...
I know, I just had a handle splice fail on me >:(
But I fixed it :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »
Nelson has replaced Urac-185 with Unibond 800 which is probably the same thing with a different name. I would choose this new glue over any of the standard epoxies.