Author Topic: Pacific Yew Longbow  (Read 7958 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Pacific Yew Longbow
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 08:18:58 pm »
Very nice!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
Thanks, Roy. I'm glad you approve. ;)

Thank you, Fred. You should definitely work with yew some time, it's amazing stuff.

Thank you, Badly Bent. My dad started working on one of the staves that he cut but never finished it. last year he gave me the half finished bow, and two other staves. I finished the one he started and gave it back to him and I made bows for my self out of the other two.

Thanks, Zion. It was a pretty nice piece. They're not the tightest rings in the world but it was a nice clean piece and since I'm not making a warbow it is plenty snappy and just fine for this design.

Thanks, You're always so complimentary, Keenan. There's nothing quite like yew. I just don't get the same magical feeling when I finish a bow with other woods. Are you trying to sow dissension in the Westside ranks by pitting Gordon against me?  8)

Thank you, Dwardo, TMK and Jodocus.

Thanks, Del. Yeah it's close to an ELB. I guess I'm not ready to totally give up the stiff handle yet. Maybe someday. I have all that yew seasoning from my haul this summer. I promise I'll turn one of those into a proper bow for ya. You just have to show me how to make the horn nocks and how to shoot with my little pinky sticking out.

Thank you, Josh.

Thanks, Gordon. I'm finally learning to get that handle down to a reasonable size, I think it makes a big difference in the aesthetics of the bow not to mention the comfort. Now I just have to let myself put a finish on the bow before I do the handle wrap. I always get impatient to do the hand wrap and then I scuff it all up when I do the finish. I think this bow finally convinced me.  And don't worry, I wont fall for Keenan's bait so easily.

Thank you, Will.

Jim, you do get the prize, good eye. As Blackhawk would say, "winner, winner chicken dinner!" Unfortunately I'm not ambidextrous, just a little absent minded. I put on the glove, took the brace picture and then went to draw the bow and slapped my forehead. I guess I haven't shot in a few weeks and I'm already getting rusty.

Thanks, Adam. That's kind of you to say.

Thanks VMB!

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
Winner winner,chicken dinner... :laugh:.....mmmmmmm....tasty delicious well seasoned yew..nice job Weylin

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 09:40:42 pm »
Another fine bow Weylin. I know how those things shoot.

Offline seabass

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 10:13:18 pm »
very nice brother.that is a great looking bow.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
Another beauty Weylin.  I am guessing that is no longer intended to be your wife's bow  >:D.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »
That's a very well made piece of yew :) can't wait for mine to dry. I'm starting to get the itch!
Very lovely.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »
Another well-done bow, sir! I have to admit that yew is pretty stuff! Too bad we don't have it down here. :(
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 12:48:04 am »
Killer bow Weylin!!!!

Bet it shoot sweet!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 02:11:15 am »
Really Nice Weylin! I'm loving seeing all this West Coast Yew! The tiller is a beaut!

I'm putting my first coat of oil on my first yew bow tonight. Can hardly wait for the next week of drying, and reapplying finish. Its the hardest part of the game  :P

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:33 am »
Looks great - You did the stave justice. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:05 am »
Nice work Weylin.  Looks like a shooter for sure.  Gotta find me a yew stave some day.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 10:36:45 am »
That is a very good looking bow Sir. Nice to see all this yew being shown lately... it makes a pretty bow.

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 02:51:22 pm »
just beautiful. Those ebony tips are sweet
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
If ever I wanted a long bow You'r holding her in that pic. friend. >:( Sweet!
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour