Author Topic: Tempering Bamboo Backing Discussion  (Read 3554 times)

blackhawk

Re: Tempering Bamboo Backing Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 10:02:04 am »
Yeah ed..it sure is fun groping in the dark...most folks wood say were crazy ;)  laminates are not my strongpoint....but selfbows ....there a breeeeeeze...lol :laugh: I'm sure I won't be able to tell a difference,but its fun trying something different and that no one here has stated trying,so why not.

And I do understand that boo in its self is plenty tension strong and not in need of any further enhancement....but hey...ya never know till ya try right?

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 11:55:37 am »
A number of people have mentioned at least force drying boo in an oven in a manner that would at least semi temper it based on duration and temperature.
 Darryl Forslund(formerly of Wildwood archery) was featured in an old article in this mag about bamboo backing bows. He used a propane torch to temper his bamboo.

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »
If I'm not mistaken James Parker uses a torch to temper his boo bellies....I've never heard anyone doing this to a backing piece tho.  ???

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »
The pictures in the article were good proof since Darryl didn't make bamboo bellied bows.
 You can see Youtube video of Justin at Bowstick  force drying his bamboo backing in a hotbox/oven.