Author Topic: nocks questions  (Read 2728 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
nocks questions
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:45:48 pm »
I am trying to make some self nocks in the pine shafts i hand plane and was wondering if there are any good videos about how to place a "strengthing " splice of either bone, antler, or other hard wood at the nock? i see pictures of them on here all the time but can not for the life of me find any kind of walk through or video about it anywhere. please help
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: nocks questions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »
Did you check out the "How To" section?
  I make regular self nocks in most of my arrows and not the "add on" type.
You could use a "V" splice or a single long bevel splice and either should work fine but I don't have instructions how to do them. I can walk you through a simple self nock if that would work for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »
Are you talking about putting a spline in the arrow, or a splice?

Offline jturkey

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
i think i am talking about a spine not a splice goes with the grain to help keep the nock from splitting as easy i do pretty good with just self nocks but trying to make them look a little better then the usual useage ones i make with my cane  arrows i have seen some that have some ipe and walnut or cherry colored in on cedar or pine shafting and the nock is cut at a 90 degree from the "spine".
doc

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »
That is what I thought. You can use a couple of hack saw blades taped together, a band saw, a table saw.  Any thing that will get you a slot.  The you have to make the spline out of something that you can sand or cut down to the size of the slot.  Take some TBll and glue them up, let them set, and then cut your nocks in.  Do you have a table saw?  I have a jig for mine that I can show you if you like?

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:20:00 pm »
yeah i have a table saw but i am making most all of mine with a band saw and hand tools and and files that i have would like to see your jig sometime so if i decide to go that way with my arrow making still getting used to making planed shaft and making them out of square stock and a drill is pretty cool as well
doc

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »
jturkey, you have a PM.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 04:06:49 pm »
not on this computer.
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
looks like i do after all john_doc_jackson@yahoo.com
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:20 pm »
I've made a few sets of reinforced selfnocks with splines of hardwood, bone, horn, antler and rawhide. In "Billets to Bows" by Glenn St Charles, Glenn describes reinforced self nocks with rawhide splines. I tried it on a set ob cedars many years ago and still shoot the arrows.
 I cut dog chew rawhide into stripe about 1" long and slightly wider than the shafts. I then made a single bandsaw cut and used sandpaper to open the slots enough so the splines fit in. I soaked the rawhide splines in warm water until hydrated and used TBIII to glue them in. After inserting the splines I used rubber bands to bind the spline/shaft and gave them overnight to dry then sanded the exsess rawhide flush with the shaft. I then cut the nocks into the shaft. You want to be sure to add your splines parrallel to the grain of the wood so the nock is cross grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 03:43:16 am »
i made this jig to use on the tablesaw, works great to cut for splines and nocks, Bubhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30253.msg400257.html#msg400257
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ncpat

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 10:38:51 am »
On some of the dowel arrows I want to make, I plan to try poly tubing. 1/4 " dowel, 1/4" ID tubing, cut a 1" length. Glue on nock end of shaft, halfway. Cut notch in tubing, just enough for string. Smooth with file/sandpaper. Notch stops at wood end, no split it wood. I think that should work well and keep shaft stronger. Will also smooth tubing at other end, taper down a little.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.