Author Topic: Modified willow leaf pig sticker  (Read 1058 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Modified willow leaf pig sticker
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
A while back on someone else's thread I had mentioned a pig sticker knife my brother had made.  He goes to Texas once or twice a year and hunts hog with dogs and knives.  I got several p.m.s asking for pics and finally got around to it.

She's point heavy with a very thick spine, almost a quarter inch.  Straight bevel from the spine to the edge gives a bit more heft and resistance to snapping.  The widest point of the blade is 2/3 out from the handle and it is fairly narrow close to the grip.  This allows you to more easily rotate the blade 90 degrees once it is fully inserted into your hog.  Then as you draw out the knife you cut yet another wound channel.  The idea is for the pig to bleed like a ...well, stuck pig!

The blade is hand forged from some part off a railroad car.  Some kind of rod that wears out and has to be replaced from time to time.  Apparently it's a pretty good quality carbon steel for knives.  He also does the leather work, the dog print on the grip is his "chop" since he's also a dog breeder.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Modified willow leaf pig sticker
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:09:44 pm »
That's a stout nice looking knife.
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:11 am »
Very nice, and nice leather work.  Blade looks similar to a "Green River" style .

Wayne

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:37:01 pm »
nice work.
Middletown,Ohio