Author Topic: Wood haul, vine maple, ocean spray and yew  (Read 9342 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Wood haul, vine maple, ocean spray and yew
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
Your wife is awesome, Keenan.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »
looking for blacktails and finding bow wood...i have done that a few times..it can suck at times..your looking for deer and come across some sweet wood and the you realize OHHH i am hunting then you get back in hunting mode and forget where the wood was...thats when i learn AHHH I HAVE FLAGGERS TAPE...that is a great haul..john

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:34 pm »
Thanks guys.  Dictionary, I thought Kid's staves were pretty self explanatory.  It is a stave for a kids bow.  Is there a joke I am missing? 

POC grows on the southern Oregon coast, several hours from where I live.  I might make a trip down there someday for arrow wood.  It is an absolutely georgeous part of the world. 

Keenan, well I am actually up to something.  I have started a small archery business.  Echo Archery (EchoArchery.com)  I am still working on the website, so there are some obvious problems with it, but any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.  And yes, I am now a paid advertiser in PA mag, so I can post the direct link. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:13 pm »
looking for blacktails and finding bow wood...i have done that a few times..it can suck at times..your looking for deer and come across some sweet wood and the you realize OHHH i am hunting then you get back in hunting mode and forget where the wood was...thats when i learn AHHH I HAVE FLAGGERS TAPE...that is a great haul..john

Great minds. I do the same.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »
Bryce, I passed on the cascara this time.  There just wasn't much.  I have another spot that abounds with cascara. 

Aaron, on the ocean spray, I used two coats of PVA (aka Elmers school glue) on the ends the day I got them home, and then coated the entire stave with some waterborne polyurethane this morning.  I need to make it up that way.  I haven't been to the coast in a long time.  A nice thing about claming is there is aren't any trees around to compete for your attention.  ;D
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »
I like the heartwood of cascara. Smells like peaches and makes a better bow :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »
Thanks guys.  Dictionary, I thought Kid's staves were pretty self explanatory.  It is a stave for a kids bow.  Is there a joke I am missing? 

Yes there is.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline randman

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »
Looks like you also got a few Scotchbroom staves in that bunch in the second pic. I recognize the green bark and the chocolate heartwood.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:47 pm »
randman, there are a couple scotch brrom pieces in there too.  Good eye.  One longer one, possibly a bow in there, the other were large diameter but short. Thinking tool handles for those. 

Yes there is.

Dictionary, it is over my head.  :-\ I just aint too bright.  :-[

Offline Weylin

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
I hear it tastes like peaches too! you should give it a try and let us know.  O:)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »
I hear it tastes like peaches too! you should give it a try and let us know.  O:)
My grandmother would give me one dried cascara berry if my stomach hurt........end result... Not pretty. But I did feel better:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 10:58:53 pm »
randman, there are a couple scotch brrom pieces in there too.  Good eye.  One longer one, possibly a bow in there, the other were large diameter but short. Thinking tool handles for those. 

Yes there is.

Dictionary, it is over my head.  :-\ I just aint too bright.  :-[

Nah i was asking because i thought you chose your staves based on their size or something for kids bows. Like smaller size peices of wood can only make kids bows or something.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 12:20:46 am »
Great haul. Ya got the right wood. Now time to show all those osage users what OS can do  >:D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:53 am »
Carson, Your website looks great!  I wanted to let you know that your wax you gave is is great! Also love that one bow that you have on there with the wavey tip surface. Congratulations on your site

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:16:09 am »

Lol  :laugh:...good one Weylin